Attack Victim Had a Hand on His Gun, But He Didn't Shoot - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Attack Victim Had a Hand on His Gun, But He Didn't Shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
When I was a teen me and some friends were robbed, one of my friends was shot in the incident. The entire thing lasted under 20 seconds and I don't know that I would have ever had an opportunity to draw. That one incident is one of my reasons for questioning if I should carry. I know that isn't the only type of incident, but once you are staring at a gun, going for your own may be a little late, my opinion, the guy who draws first wins... On the other hand, I was very calm and had my wits during and after which also makes me think I am a good candidate to carry. Point is is when SHTF it happens fast and none of us know how we will react until it is over and your standing there asking yourself if it really just happened...
Sorry Tanktop but I disagree with you on a number of issues. Firstly, if you do decide to carry concealed you should develop the mental attitude that if you are confronted with such a situation your first option is to defend yourself. If not, why carry concealed?
Secondly, the guy who draws first doesn't always win. A guy who draws can be first at doing just that.....draw. Completing the task can have so many interruptions like malfunctions and the like that the person who is last on the draw might be the first on the squeeze.
Thirdly, carrying concealed is serious business. I have told my students that training takes over when you are in the SHTF moment.Training is important so get some personal defense classes and training in the use of firearms as a regular part of your routine.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #12

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

This encounter reeks of poor training. Racial comments from a man closing on you in a parking lot at 3 am?

Real gun, air gun, club, knife, or bare hand...simply presenting the victims weapon "without drawing" would most likely have sent this punk scurrying away.

I'm glad the victim had minor injuries and hope he gets some training after this.

Allowing an obvious aggressor to close that closely is simply not smart and adrenaline can cause some folks to freeze up. Training, training, and then a bit more training is advisable for all.

Tack

Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinC View Post

Sorry Tanktop but I disagree with you on a number of issues. Firstly, if you do decide to carry concealed you should develop the mental attitude that if you are confronted with such a situation your first option is to defend yourself. If not, why carry concealed?
Secondly, the guy who draws first doesn't always win. A guy who draws can be first at doing just that.....draw. Completing the task can have so many interruptions like malfunctions and the like that the person who is last on the draw might be the first on the squeeze.
Thirdly, carrying concealed is serious business. I have told my students that training takes over when you are in the SHTF moment.Training is important so get some personal defense classes and training in the use of firearms as a regular part of your routine.
I'm in total agreement to a point, have you ever starred down the barrel of a pistol? It's almost hypnotising... At the same time I would always vote to have a concealed weapon and lots of training vs none.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Liked 4526 Times on 2253 Posts
Likes Given: 1018

You hit me in the eye with a BB gun and I lose my eye, I lose my ability to work at my career.

Damn right I'll shoot, but not if when I draw, the attacker flees.

The point I take away, is that this man went for his gun and probably scared the attacker away.

How do you know that his buddies aren't waiting in a car or bushes.

Furthermore, I take away that this guy stopped an attack with a firearm without even using it.
He also stopped a hate crime, putting more cracks into the whole, 'I'm a liberal and here to help minorities.'

Also, I don't see ANY conservatives saying 'he wasn't white, he should've been shot.' No, instead I see a lot if conservatives saying, 'That white dude should've been shot.'

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

People Like This 
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Good observations and all true...bit I'm looking at it from the "he screwed up and caught a BB in the head" angle...

Sounded to me like the aggressor was talking and closing on the victims before the BB gun was brought out and fired at close range.

Smart sheeple would have made a run into the Wal Mart...

Trained armed citizens would have drawn before nut got close enough to fire...

This victim falls into a dangerous category of people who don't run "because there packing", but who lack the training to respond properly.

Not shooting the fleeing perp was the correct decision "after the fact" but...dumb luck is the only reason our victim survived to tell his tale.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
You hit me in the eye with a BB gun and I lose my eye, I lose my ability to work at my career.

Damn right I'll shoot, but not if when I draw, the attacker flees.

The point I take away, is that this man went for his gun and probably scared the attacker away.

How do you know that his buddies aren't waiting in a car or bushes.

Furthermore, I take away that this guy stopped an attack with a firearm without even using it.
He also stopped a hate crime, putting more cracks into the whole, 'I'm a liberal and here to help minorities.'

Also, I don't see ANY conservatives saying 'he wasn't white, he should've been shot.' No, instead I see a lot if conservatives saying, 'That white dude should've been shot.'

Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

He had a hand on his gun but he didn't shoot. As in "This is my rifle, this is my gun..."?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

IMHO You could also look at it as evidence against the "trigger happy" syndrome many libs say gun owners have.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Part of the requirements in carrying a firearm is to be aware of your circumstances and be ready, willing, and able to respond to a threat appropriately. When he saw the guy approaching him that way, he should have had his hand on his gun. When the perp drew his weapon, the victim should have drawn and shot. It appears that he thought of his gun as sort of a "good luck charm", that nothing would happen to hime if he was carrying it.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's the link to the video,,,,still hard call: shot in the face, blood in the eyes, could I make a good shoot? I don't know.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/victim-in-pasco-hate-crime-had-gun-decided-not-to-use-it/1268955

Freedom comes from those who fought for it
USMC, NRA, IDPA-SO, GOA

Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Once the perp kept firing, the guy should have drawn, ran up to the perp, and shot him point blank.