Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > Armed intruder shot and killed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Armed intruder shot and killed

Warrenton, on the Oregon coast near the mouth of the Columbia River and the end of the Lewis & Clark trail. A 43 year old woman successfully defended herself and her children when her estranged husband illegally entered the home (restraining order?) armed with a gun (story doesn't say what kind of gun). Mom, a 19 year old male and kids, fled to the bedroom where they hunkered down and called 9-1-1. While on the phone with dispatch, hubby kicked in the bedroom door and was promptly shot to death. News isn't saying who shot him, or if mom and 19 year old both did.

As with most of these kinds of stories, the Big City (Portland) gives it only scant attention. http://www.kptv.com/story/22189913/warrenton-family-shoots-and-kills-armed-intruder

Local news goes into a bit more detail; http://www.dailyastorian.com/free/warrenton-shooting-victim-identified-man-had-history-of-domestic-violence/article_b1265314-b7fc-11e2-a583-0019bb2963f4.html

From my knowledge of the area, it is unlikely any charges will be filed, as the DA there is pro-gun and supports self defense. The dead guy has assumed room temperature.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
alsaqr Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2133 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Estranged Husband + Restraining Order + Gun + Threat + Bedroom Forced Entry = PAID FOR!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1936 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 2884

Sometimes violators of restraining orders become worm food.

Some judge let the scumbag out of jail after he was charged with this:

Rogers was arrested around 7 p.m., charged with fourth-degree assault, coercion, second-degree criminal mischief, interfering with making a police report and strangulation. He was booked into the Clatsop County Jail.

Last edited by alsaqr; 05-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Luckily the right person is wearing the toe tag. With his history against this same woman it could have gone the other way. Restraining orders are helpful when they deal with a fairly law abiding citizen, but in reality they are as worthless as gun laws when it comes to the criminal element.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In the end, a restraining order really is nothing but a piece of paper. I really don't see someone who would already be considered violent, being stopped by a mere piece of paper.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
In the end, a restraining order really is nothing but a piece of paper. I really don't see someone who would already be considered violent, being stopped by a mere piece of paper.
True, but there is a difference between someone that is violent as a way of life and someone that was goaded into a one time thing. The one timer will usually respect the order for protection. In this case I agree the OFP was worthless.

And then there are divorce cases. One spouse will often do anything and everything to harass the other spouse including lie their butts off about a need for protection.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Lol...my ex tried to get a restraining order...the judge ended up granting me and my son one instead!

Um, if I really, REALLY wanted to be a jerk, couldn't I cause some problems over her living with a boyfriend who has hunting rifles? And the order has been lifted/expired/overruled?

I don't care about her or her new guy, and I think that with the heat of the moment gone, there would never be any issues...

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
I thought about what you wrote.

But it's not just a piece of paper in one respect and alot less in another. It is a line. Drawn by people. The law. A line one is warned not to cross. And if one does they do so knowing that they did so in violation of the law and that there will be repurcussions. The reasonable man doesn't approach that line. The fearful man doesn't cross it. But the man bent on violence!?

It may be meangingless. May even be a challenge. A dare! The law and its piece of paper aren't even a speedbump to the villain and the outcomes are often violent and bloody as well as left to the mood of a killer.

I hope this badguy had no idea what was happening until he was shot. And then that he lived long enough to know that whatever evil he had in mind, however barberous, that it was not going to happen now. That he failed and had fallen, well vanquished, at the very footsteps of those he would violate. And, finally, that he knew he was a dead man and that there was just nothing for it...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-15-2013 at 12:02 AM.
readygirl Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1725 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Default Restraining orders

They should be printed on rope, placed around the perps neck, and the other end tied to a high branch. With him standing on a two legged chair...............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Lol...my ex tried to get a restraining order...the judge ended up granting me and my son one instead!

Um, if I really, REALLY wanted to be a jerk, couldn't I cause some problems over her living with a boyfriend who has hunting rifles? And the order has been lifted/expired/overruled?

I don't care about her or her new guy, and I think that with the heat of the moment gone, there would never be any issues...
If the order is still in effect, and if your local law is similar to ours, you could have her arrested for the firearm access if the order forbids them. Me? I would let it lie and move on in peace. It sounds like a can of worms you really don't want to open unless you're forced to.