AR-15 Proves Handy in NC
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > AR-15 Proves Handy in NC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default AR-15 Proves Handy in NC

This happened about 10 minutes from me. Henderson used to be a beautiful small town but since they closed all the factories down it has become a cess pool. Best line in article "He shot first, I shot second," he said. "He missed and I reckon I connected."

http://www.wral.com/homeowner-shoots-intruder-in-vance-county-break-in/13638825/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Shot in the stomach and 'ran' outside. Even a rifle will not always 'stop' the bandit. It is good thing the bandit decide to 'flight' and not 'fight' or it could have ended on a much sourer note for all!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2007 Times on 1379 Posts
Likes Given: 766

The Chief of Police in Henderson has been urging citizens to arm themselves to great resistance. He was speaking to the city council to organize the citizens of Henderson in a community watch. The gentry of Henderson started an uproar saying they wanted no part of defending their city. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

More than once Mrs Gupton has asked me to hang around when she was closing the shop. It's pretty bad when the owner of a gun shop is concerned about an invasion. Mr Gupton is gentle mannered but he is no one to fool with.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The Chief of Police in Henderson has been urging citizens to arm themselves to great resistance. He was speaking to the city council to organize the citizens of Henderson in a community watch. The gentry of Henderson started an uproar saying they wanted no part of defending their city. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

More than once Mrs Gupton has asked me to hang around when she was closing the shop. It's pretty bad when the owner of a gun shop is concerned about an invasion. Mr Gupton is gentle mannered but he is no one to fool with.
What area of NC do you live in JD,,,,,I like to but ammo from Guptons but their guns are a bit high IMHO.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

It is good that he was able to stop the BG. It is also good that the news reporter presented a positive account of the event, instead of the usual "Tsk tsk, when are they going to do something about the guns".

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 659 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 408

Surprising that he didn't unload on the BG, It could of got him killed.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2007 Times on 1379 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
What area of NC do you live in JD,,,,,I like to but ammo from Guptons but their guns are a bit high IMHO.
I am in Franklin county.

You have to make an appointment with Mrs Gupton to get a deal on a gun. If you buy the gun from anyone else in the shop it's priced as marked. Mr Gupton is a fair gunsmith. Fixing guns is all he cares to do. He will not make a deal on a gun or tell you to wait for Mrs Gupton. Mrs Gupton used to let me have guns on a 10% markup. Now it's like playing roulette. She might make you a good deal - She might not

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 05-13-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am in Franklin county.

You have to make an appointment with Mrs Gupton to get a deal on a gun. If you buy the gun from anyone else in the shop it's priced as marked. Mr Gupton is a fair gunsmith. Fixing guns is all he cares to do. He will not make a deal on a gun or tell you to wait for Mrs Gupton. Mrs Gupton used to let me have guns on a 10% markup. Now it's like playing roulette. She might make you a good deal - She might not
Good to know...I didn't know the had a gunsmith in the shop. I have gotten a few good deals at Crosscreek and have found Wade easy to deal with. I mite have to give them another try as I have a few rough but very nice guns I would like restored.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2267 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Varmint rounds do very well in close quarters.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Shot in the stomach and 'ran' outside. Even a rifle will not always 'stop' the bandit. It is good thing the bandit decide to 'flight' and not 'fight' or it could have ended on a much sourer note for all!
Gun shot wounds (GSWs) in the GI tract (gut shots) tend to not be debilitating immediately. These types of wounds, when fatal, are usually a result of hypovolemic shock (blood loss) which can take sometimes up to 20-30 minutes to have an affect. This is why LEOs are taught to aim for the chest. GSWs to the chest have a much higher chance of quicker traumatic response, ending the encounter faster and more safely for the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
Surprising that he didn't unload on the BG, It could of got him killed.
This surprised me a bit, too. Semiautomatic actions combined with being fired upon usually equates to more than one round being fired. Most training courses will teach a double- or triple-tap even with a rifle, making this more strange. Not everyone dumps the magazine, but multiple rounds to guarantee stopping of aggression would have been the norm. Of course, they didn't mention if the homeowner had any formal training or not.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)