Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearms in the Media (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/)
-   -   AR-15 Proves Handy in NC (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/ar-15-proves-handy-nc-106979/)

nchunt101 05-13-2014 02:02 PM

AR-15 Proves Handy in NC

This happened about 10 minutes from me. Henderson used to be a beautiful small town but since they closed all the factories down it has become a cess pool. Best line in article "He shot first, I shot second," he said. "He missed and I reckon I connected."

http://www.wral.com/homeowner-shoots-intruder-in-vance-county-break-in/13638825/

JimRau 05-13-2014 02:41 PM

Shot in the stomach and 'ran' outside. Even a rifle will not always 'stop' the bandit. It is good thing the bandit decide to 'flight' and not 'fight' or it could have ended on a much sourer note for all!:eek:

John_Deer 05-13-2014 06:42 PM

The Chief of Police in Henderson has been urging citizens to arm themselves to great resistance. He was speaking to the city council to organize the citizens of Henderson in a community watch. The gentry of Henderson started an uproar saying they wanted no part of defending their city. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

More than once Mrs Gupton has asked me to hang around when she was closing the shop. It's pretty bad when the owner of a gun shop is concerned about an invasion. Mr Gupton is gentle mannered but he is no one to fool with.

nchunt101 05-13-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1575074)
The Chief of Police in Henderson has been urging citizens to arm themselves to great resistance. He was speaking to the city council to organize the citizens of Henderson in a community watch. The gentry of Henderson started an uproar saying they wanted no part of defending their city. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

More than once Mrs Gupton has asked me to hang around when she was closing the shop. It's pretty bad when the owner of a gun shop is concerned about an invasion. Mr Gupton is gentle mannered but he is no one to fool with.

What area of NC do you live in JD,,,,,I like to but ammo from Guptons but their guns are a bit high IMHO.

AIKIJUTSU 05-13-2014 06:49 PM

It is good that he was able to stop the BG. It is also good that the news reporter presented a positive account of the event, instead of the usual "Tsk tsk, when are they going to do something about the guns".

Eagle1803 05-13-2014 07:11 PM

Surprising that he didn't unload on the BG, It could of got him killed.

John_Deer 05-13-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nchunt101 (Post 1575077)
What area of NC do you live in JD,,,,,I like to but ammo from Guptons but their guns are a bit high IMHO.

I am in Franklin county.

You have to make an appointment with Mrs Gupton to get a deal on a gun. If you buy the gun from anyone else in the shop it's priced as marked. Mr Gupton is a fair gunsmith. Fixing guns is all he cares to do. He will not make a deal on a gun or tell you to wait for Mrs Gupton. Mrs Gupton used to let me have guns on a 10% markup. Now it's like playing roulette. She might make you a good deal - She might not

nchunt101 05-14-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1575104)
I am in Franklin county.

You have to make an appointment with Mrs Gupton to get a deal on a gun. If you buy the gun from anyone else in the shop it's priced as marked. Mr Gupton is a fair gunsmith. Fixing guns is all he cares to do. He will not make a deal on a gun or tell you to wait for Mrs Gupton. Mrs Gupton used to let me have guns on a 10% markup. Now it's like playing roulette. She might make you a good deal - She might not

Good to know...I didn't know the had a gunsmith in the shop. I have gotten a few good deals at Crosscreek and have found Wade easy to deal with. I mite have to give them another try as I have a few rough but very nice guns I would like restored.

JTJ 05-14-2014 06:46 PM

Varmint rounds do very well in close quarters.

TekGreg 05-14-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1574995)
Shot in the stomach and 'ran' outside. Even a rifle will not always 'stop' the bandit. It is good thing the bandit decide to 'flight' and not 'fight' or it could have ended on a much sourer note for all!:eek:

Gun shot wounds (GSWs) in the GI tract (gut shots) tend to not be debilitating immediately. These types of wounds, when fatal, are usually a result of hypovolemic shock (blood loss) which can take sometimes up to 20-30 minutes to have an affect. This is why LEOs are taught to aim for the chest. GSWs to the chest have a much higher chance of quicker traumatic response, ending the encounter faster and more safely for the victim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle1803 (Post 1575089)
Surprising that he didn't unload on the BG, It could of got him killed.

This surprised me a bit, too. Semiautomatic actions combined with being fired upon usually equates to more than one round being fired. Most training courses will teach a double- or triple-tap even with a rifle, making this more strange. Not everyone dumps the magazine, but multiple rounds to guarantee stopping of aggression would have been the norm. Of course, they didn't mention if the homeowner had any formal training or not.