81-year-old halts robbery attempt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media > 81-year-old halts robbery attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default 81-year-old halts robbery attempt

SOURCE

81-year-old James Stevens was driving home through Ocala, Fla. when he noticed a car following him. Reluctant to go home with the person tailing him, Stevens pulled over and retrieved a .38-caliber revolver from his vehicle. The person behind him followed suit, then got out of his car, approached Stevens, and ordered him to hand over “everything you got.” Stevens responded by firing at the criminal, striking him in the abdomen and ending the robbery.

When the authorities arrived, they found the robber in some nearby grass and transported him to a local hospital. An investigation revealed that the wounded criminal had previously been convicted of altering the serial number of a firearm. (The Miami Herald, Miami, Fla. 03/11/12)

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

I think we should just ignore all of the lives saved by firearms---The Media and Politicians

Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

Liked 4822 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Don't we all just LOVE a happy ending!

Tack

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Didn't say if the BG had a gun, if he did NOT, is the old man legal in shooting him??

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with his actions. I know when I took my CC class(in NC) they said we were not legal to use a gun if the BG did not use a gun. I know our laws have changed some here since and FL laws are diff.. Just wondering

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Didn't say if the BG had a gun, if he did NOT, is the old man legal in shooting him??

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with his actions. I know when I took my CC class(in NC) they said we were not legal to use a gun if the BG did not use a gun. I know our laws have changed some here since and FL laws are diff.. Just wondering
It depends. The threat of deadly force or even the implied threat of deadly force is enough... depending on circumstances. Did the victim believe that he was under threat of deadly force? It circles back around to the "reasonable person" standard. Would a "reasonable person" believe that they were in fear for their life?
Let's be realistic, an 81 YO man isn't likely to be the aggressor against a 28 criminal. Hell, even if he was, good luck convincing a jury.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

All you say "Officer I felt my life was in danger..."

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
It depends. The threat of deadly force or even the implied threat of deadly force is enough... depending on circumstances. Did the victim believe that he was under threat of deadly force? It circles back around to the "reasonable person" standard. Would a "reasonable person" believe that they were in fear for their life?
Let's be realistic, an 81 YO man isn't likely to be the aggressor against a 28 criminal. Hell, even if he was, good luck convincing a jury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx
All you say "Officer I felt my life was in danger..."
Right, that is kinda my understanding of NC's laws which from my understanding mirror FL law..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Seniors have a little more leeway then a young 6+ foot 200 lb man. It does not take a lot to seriously injure an 81 year old. That is why predators pray on the old and weak.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7242 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 14735

"I love it when @$$HOLE$ and bullets meet."

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My dad (who happens to be retired and living in Ocala, FL) tells me that a senior citizen has a LOT of leeway in FL. Granted dad is no lawyer...

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."