Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearms in the Media (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/)
-   -   81-year-old halts robbery attempt (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f169/81-year-old-halts-robbery-attempt-86395/)

molonlabexx 03-12-2013 09:00 PM

81-year-old halts robbery attempt

SOURCE

81-year-old James Stevens was driving home through Ocala, Fla. when he noticed a car following him. Reluctant to go home with the person tailing him, Stevens pulled over and retrieved a .38-caliber revolver from his vehicle. The person behind him followed suit, then got out of his car, approached Stevens, and ordered him to hand over “everything you got.” Stevens responded by firing at the criminal, striking him in the abdomen and ending the robbery.

When the authorities arrived, they found the robber in some nearby grass and transported him to a local hospital. An investigation revealed that the wounded criminal had previously been convicted of altering the serial number of a firearm. (The Miami Herald, Miami, Fla. 03/11/12)

bowhunter17 03-12-2013 09:03 PM

I think we should just ignore all of the lives saved by firearms---The Media and Politicians

Tackleberry1 03-12-2013 09:21 PM

Don't we all just LOVE a happy ending! :)

Tack

deadsp0t 03-12-2013 09:33 PM

Didn't say if the BG had a gun, if he did NOT, is the old man legal in shooting him??

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with his actions. I know when I took my CC class(in NC) they said we were not legal to use a gun if the BG did not use a gun. I know our laws have changed some here since and FL laws are diff.. Just wondering

Overkill0084 03-12-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t (Post 1173711)
Didn't say if the BG had a gun, if he did NOT, is the old man legal in shooting him??

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with his actions. I know when I took my CC class(in NC) they said we were not legal to use a gun if the BG did not use a gun. I know our laws have changed some here since and FL laws are diff.. Just wondering

It depends. The threat of deadly force or even the implied threat of deadly force is enough... depending on circumstances. Did the victim believe that he was under threat of deadly force? It circles back around to the "reasonable person" standard. Would a "reasonable person" believe that they were in fear for their life?
Let's be realistic, an 81 YO man isn't likely to be the aggressor against a 28 criminal. Hell, even if he was, good luck convincing a jury.

molonlabexx 03-12-2013 09:48 PM

All you say "Officer I felt my life was in danger..."

deadsp0t 03-12-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084
It depends. The threat of deadly force or even the implied threat of deadly force is enough... depending on circumstances. Did the victim believe that he was under threat of deadly force? It circles back around to the "reasonable person" standard. Would a "reasonable person" believe that they were in fear for their life?
Let's be realistic, an 81 YO man isn't likely to be the aggressor against a 28 criminal. Hell, even if he was, good luck convincing a jury.

Quote:

Originally Posted by molonlabexx
All you say "Officer I felt my life was in danger..."

Right, that is kinda my understanding of NC's laws which from my understanding mirror FL law..

JTJ 03-12-2013 10:43 PM

Seniors have a little more leeway then a young 6+ foot 200 lb man. It does not take a lot to seriously injure an 81 year old. That is why predators pray on the old and weak.

MisterMcCool 03-12-2013 11:02 PM

"I love it when @$$HOLE$ and bullets meet."

camiller 03-14-2013 02:09 AM

My dad (who happens to be retired and living in Ocala, FL) tells me that a senior citizen has a LOT of leeway in FL. Granted dad is no lawyer...