11 year olds defend their homes and lives - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Firearms in the Media >

11 year olds defend their homes and lives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcInnis View Post
New to the gun scene...in everyone's opinion, what age is appropriate to allow a child to start shooting/proper handling of firearms lessons?
There is no single answer. It depends on the child. FWIW, I started shooting airguns at 8, firearms followed not long afterward. Can they read and follow safety rules for other activities? Bear in mind, there is no shortage of adults that probably shouldn't own firearms.

Kudos to the kids.
Quote:
I would like to see the dirtbags in jail telling the other prisoners they were beat by an 11 year old.
Especially the girl with the pink rifle.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #12

Liked 402 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As soon as they read the Constitution and BOR...
Like over kill said it depends on the kid. I started bb guns at 4 pellet guns at 5 and 22's at 6 if your child is responsible and listens well he will probably be ok starting a little younger. On the other hand if he is uncooperative and tends to overreact, it might be better to wait till he is a little older.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcInnis View Post
New to the gun scene...in everyone's opinion, what age is appropriate to allow a child to start shooting/proper handling of firearms lessons?
As soon as they can understand the concept of don't point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy. Both of my kids are adults now but they both started learning firearm safety and how to shoot when they were about three years old.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #14

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcInnis
It all depends on their level of maturity and interest as well as family dynamics. My daughter went to the range with me when she was six. Didn't shoot and didn't like it due to noise. My son will be lucky if he gets there before he can vote.