Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Why does stainless steel have pitting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/why-does-stainless-steel-have-pitting-84717/)

MisterMcCool 02-20-2013 11:02 PM

Why does stainless steel have pitting?

I paid quite a bit extra for a stainless steel Springfield M6 Scout over the parkerized version because I understood stainless would not rust. What do you know? It has pitting now. I sent a letter to the manufacturer and they responded "keep it well oiled." Is this common?

nitestalker 02-20-2013 11:25 PM

SS is simply more rust resistant not rust proof. I saw a Mdl. 66 S&W that was pulled from a creek. The Mdl. 66 had been under water for 2 years. The gun was as badly damaged as any other firearm left in the water for 2 years.:(

Gonzilla 02-20-2013 11:36 PM

Minor pitting can be removed w 000 or 0000 steel wool. Some rub dry, others use light oil or WD40.

Good Luck !

I had a similar revelation about 15 yrs ago, ROA in SS had some pitting and it drove me Nutz ! (I never store a weapon dry - especially BP)

Lesson Learned: Nothing is rust proof but some of these new finishes are impressive. I live on East Coast n salt water air is hard on steel.

MisterMcCool 02-21-2013 12:04 AM

I live in Alabama and this is my truck gun. I didn't realize that even in the truck, it was exposed to humidity. It's not ruined, but p!$$3$ me off.

762 02-21-2013 12:42 AM

sand it down and throw a coat of duracoat on it or keep a rag in the car to wipe it down every now and then. i graduated from auburn, it's humid down there year round.

c3shooter 02-21-2013 01:08 AM

As said- proper term is rust resistant, not rust proof. There are dozens of different alloys of iron, carbon, chromium and nickel used to make "stainless" steel. It would be possible to make a gun out of an alloy with so much chrmium in it that it would never rust in your lifetime- but would shatter like glass when you shot it.

Called a tradeoff.

Gonzilla 02-21-2013 05:21 PM

C3 - have you looked at Spyderco's H1 steel ? I've never tried it but buddy who sails a lot swears by them. He has a serrated model which is very effective w rope.

A good after market finish is your best bet w firearms. Although, my HK w Hostile Environment finish has been remarkable. No pitting in 18 years...

MisterMcCool 02-21-2013 10:06 PM

I just don't get it. I have stainless steel spoons and forks that have seen all kinds of abuse; water, acids, salt, detergents, dishwasher, etc. They don't have pitting or rust.

JonM 02-22-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1147622)
I just don't get it. I have stainless steel spoons and forks that have seen all kinds of abuse; water, acids, salt, detergents, dishwasher, etc. They don't have pitting or rust.

yes, but the alloys used to make your spoon and fork would make a handgrenade instead of a gun.

MisterMcCool 02-22-2013 03:20 AM

That makes sense. Flatware is not as hard as gun metal.