Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Where to oil your firearm.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mopowerbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 601
Liked 398 Times on 230 Posts

Default Where to oil your firearm.

I haven't seen a general thread on where to oil your firearm. There are plenty of posts on different guns on how to clean and lube and what is the best product but I want to start a thread on where to lube any gun. I'm going to start out with the three easiest photos to find on a AR,AK,& Glock. Please post a picture and name of any gun you have. Either out of an owners Manuel or web picture. Thanks. A



__________________
mopowerbmx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mopowerbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 601
Liked 398 Times on 230 Posts

Default

Ar 15

image-1355147726.jpg



image-853736903.jpg   image-3878569909.jpg   image-3007322860.jpg  
__________________
mopowerbmx is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mopowerbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 601
Liked 398 Times on 230 Posts

Default

Glock

image-1980539522.jpg

__________________
mopowerbmx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,431
Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Default

^^^ Hard to argue with that

__________________

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MoHawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mopowerbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 601
Liked 398 Times on 230 Posts

Default

Ak47

image-45957692.jpg

__________________
mopowerbmx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Then there's the debate of grease for the large sliding parts, and oil for the small parts...

I've used vaseline in iraq on my saw. That was an extreme condition. For everyday usage, I just stick to ballistol on everything. My carry gun does not see the abuse or extreme conditions that my saw did in iraq.

I just oil everything, then wipe down. Maybe if I were doing some competitions it'd be different, but my gun just doesn't see that kind of usage. Range sessions for me max out at about 200 rounds, limited by finances, and simply oiling everything hasn't failed yet.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mopowerbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 601
Liked 398 Times on 230 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Then there's the debate of grease for the large sliding parts, and oil for the small parts...

I've used vaseline in iraq on my saw. That was an extreme condition. For everyday usage, I just stick to ballistol on everything. My carry gun does not see the abuse or extreme conditions that my saw did in iraq.

I just oil everything, then wipe down. Maybe if I were doing some competitions it'd be different, but my gun just doesn't see that kind of usage. Range sessions for me max out at about 200 rounds, limited by finances, and simply oiling everything hasn't failed yet.
Thank you for your service. Do you have a diagram where to oil or grease the SAW? What I want to do is get a thread started on where to oil and grease. Kinda a quick reference on as many guns as possible instead of looking all over the web. I'm trying to find stuff like lever actions,bolt action,pistols Shotguns, or what ever. Think it would be neat to see what everyone comes up with. I don't have Manuel's on a few of my guns and can't find a good oiling diagram. I mostly know where to oil by wear points and common since but I could be missing something important.
__________________
mopowerbmx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,292
Liked 1797 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

For storage I like to go 'wet'. For shooting, just a dab will do ya!

315loveyourenemies.jpg  
__________________
leave the cannoli - take the gun
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eagle1803's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: missouri
Posts: 863
Liked 632 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
I haven't seen a general thread on where to oil your firearm. There are plenty of posts on different guns on how to clean and lube and what is the best product but I want to start a thread on where to lube any gun. I'm going to start out with the three easiest photos to find on a AR,AK,& Glock. Please post a picture and name of any gun you have. Either out of an owners Manuel or web picture. Thanks. A
Good info, good post!
__________________


Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
Eagle1803 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post

Thank you for your service. Do you have a diagram where to oil or grease the SAW? What I want to do is get a thread started on where to oil and grease. Kinda a quick reference on as many guns as possible instead of looking all over the web. I'm trying to find stuff like lever actions,bolt action,pistols Shotguns, or what ever. Think it would be neat to see what everyone comes up with. I don't have Manuel's on a few of my guns and can't find a good oiling diagram. I mostly know where to oil by wear points and common since but I could be missing something important.
With my saw, I scrubbed it clean with brakefree, and then either wiped it down with an oily rag or sprayed it down with any available spray. By this I mean, I treated everything. Then I very heavily greased the rails, charging handle rail, and packed vaseline where the feed tray cover meets the receiver. That last was to keep grit from blowing into it.


__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
If you could only own one firearm please tell us mountainskytop The Club House 11 11-27-2012 03:22 PM
firearm value jjfuller1 General Rifle Discussion 1 10-25-2012 01:26 AM
First Firearm Venom General Rifle Discussion 85 07-31-2012 02:35 AM
Help with a firearm CaseyChadwell General Rifle Discussion 5 10-27-2010 02:12 PM
My new toy. (& first firearm) chff95 XD Forum 23 05-09-2010 10:16 PM