Where to oil your firearm.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Where to oil your firearm.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 514 Times on 286 Posts

Default Where to oil your firearm.

I haven't seen a general thread on where to oil your firearm. There are plenty of posts on different guns on how to clean and lube and what is the best product but I want to start a thread on where to lube any gun. I'm going to start out with the three easiest photos to find on a AR,AK,& Glock. Please post a picture and name of any gun you have. Either out of an owners Manuel or web picture. Thanks. A

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ar 15

image-1355147726.jpg

image-853736903.jpg   image-3878569909.jpg   image-3007322860.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Glock

image-1980539522.jpg

Old 12-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

^^^ Hard to argue with that

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 12-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ak47

image-45957692.jpg

Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Then there's the debate of grease for the large sliding parts, and oil for the small parts...

I've used vaseline in iraq on my saw. That was an extreme condition. For everyday usage, I just stick to ballistol on everything. My carry gun does not see the abuse or extreme conditions that my saw did in iraq.

I just oil everything, then wipe down. Maybe if I were doing some competitions it'd be different, but my gun just doesn't see that kind of usage. Range sessions for me max out at about 200 rounds, limited by finances, and simply oiling everything hasn't failed yet.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Then there's the debate of grease for the large sliding parts, and oil for the small parts...

I've used vaseline in iraq on my saw. That was an extreme condition. For everyday usage, I just stick to ballistol on everything. My carry gun does not see the abuse or extreme conditions that my saw did in iraq.

I just oil everything, then wipe down. Maybe if I were doing some competitions it'd be different, but my gun just doesn't see that kind of usage. Range sessions for me max out at about 200 rounds, limited by finances, and simply oiling everything hasn't failed yet.
Thank you for your service. Do you have a diagram where to oil or grease the SAW? What I want to do is get a thread started on where to oil and grease. Kinda a quick reference on as many guns as possible instead of looking all over the web. I'm trying to find stuff like lever actions,bolt action,pistols Shotguns, or what ever. Think it would be neat to see what everyone comes up with. I don't have Manuel's on a few of my guns and can't find a good oiling diagram. I mostly know where to oil by wear points and common since but I could be missing something important.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

For storage I like to go 'wet'. For shooting, just a dab will do ya!

315loveyourenemies.jpg  

Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
I haven't seen a general thread on where to oil your firearm. There are plenty of posts on different guns on how to clean and lube and what is the best product but I want to start a thread on where to lube any gun. I'm going to start out with the three easiest photos to find on a AR,AK,& Glock. Please post a picture and name of any gun you have. Either out of an owners Manuel or web picture. Thanks. A
Good info, good post!

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post

Thank you for your service. Do you have a diagram where to oil or grease the SAW? What I want to do is get a thread started on where to oil and grease. Kinda a quick reference on as many guns as possible instead of looking all over the web. I'm trying to find stuff like lever actions,bolt action,pistols Shotguns, or what ever. Think it would be neat to see what everyone comes up with. I don't have Manuel's on a few of my guns and can't find a good oiling diagram. I mostly know where to oil by wear points and common since but I could be missing something important.
With my saw, I scrubbed it clean with brakefree, and then either wiped it down with an oily rag or sprayed it down with any available spray. By this I mean, I treated everything. Then I very heavily greased the rails, charging handle rail, and packed vaseline where the feed tray cover meets the receiver. That last was to keep grit from blowing into it.