Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   What new cleaning rod should I get? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/what-new-cleaning-rod-should-i-get-86114/)

Ruger22lr 03-09-2013 02:34 AM

What new cleaning rod should I get?
 
I didn't know this but evidently the cleaning rod I have is bad since it is aluminum and is a 3 piece so I need a new cleaning rod. What is a good one for me to get? Biggest rifle I have is a Mosin Nagant. Also what bore guide should I get? Preferably a universal one. I have 2 Ruger 10/22's, SKS, Mosin Nagant for rifles.

Intheshop 03-09-2013 11:21 AM

Good luck!There are so many top-notch rods on the mrkt these days picking "one" is going to be a chore.

Noting,I like coated steel one pce.Generally,because I can't make them.CF and SS rods,along with ANY guide systems are easily fabbed in our shop(and have made a few...duh) yet,......I still plug away with two Kleenbore coated rods(economically priced).

I do have several "jointed" Alum rods....and believe it or not,they do get used once in awhile.They ain't hittin on a whole lot and you need to be very careful.....but,that goes for any rod.

mrm14 03-09-2013 04:19 PM

http://deweyrods.com/

Ruger22lr 03-09-2013 05:20 PM

Will this be good for my SKS and Mosin Nagant? Says it's .30 caliber and 44 inches. https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61_77&product_id=102

mrm14 03-10-2013 03:25 AM

It says .27 caliber and up so it should be good for your .30 caliber rifles unless you have mile long barrels. I have a .300 Win. Mag. target rifle with a 28" barrel and they have a longer rod section for longer barrels that they sold me. It works great. You will need a smaller diameter rod for your .22 caliber rifles. They also make a reciever guide for your bolt guns.

This is the one for your .30 caliber bolt guns if they have scopes but it will work well for both.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_119&product_id=487

They also make muzzle guides for your automatics.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=109_117_121

ScottA 03-10-2013 04:09 AM

Just get bore snakes.

Ruger22lr 03-10-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 1170485)
It says .27 caliber and up so it should be good for your .30 caliber rifles unless you have mile long barrels. I have a .300 Win. Mag. target rifle with a 28" barrel and they have a longer rod section for longer barrels that they sold me. It works great. You will need a smaller diameter rod for your .22 caliber rifles. They also make a reciever guide for your bolt guns.

This is the one for your .30 caliber bolt guns if they have scopes but it will work well for both.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_119&product_id=487

They also make muzzle guides for your automatics.

https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=109_117_121

Oh good I'm safe then. Will have to get them next time I get paid. Would this be okay for my SKS? https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_117_120&product_id=425. Also since the nylon coated one isn't much more expensive should I go with it or not?

mrm14 03-10-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruger22lr (Post 1170644)
Oh good I'm safe then. Will have to get them next time I get paid. Would this be okay for my SKS? https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_117_120&product_id=425. Also since the nylon coated one isn't much more expensive should I go with it or not?



I'd go with the nylon coated if it's not much more.

JTJ 03-10-2013 06:54 PM

I vote for the Otis system.

Ruger22lr 03-10-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 1171014)
I'd go with the nylon coated if it's not much more.

Alright then I'll get that one then. Just one more question are the brass muzzle guides like this one okay too use? I just wanna make sure so I don't ruin the crown on my rifles or the rifling. https://www.deweyrods.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_117_120&product_id=425. Because with semi autos I clean from the muzzle.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.