what makes gun oil gun oil
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > what makes gun oil gun oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default what makes gun oil gun oil

Okay I give up what's so special about gun oil am I over paying can I use just good old 3 in 1. Or am I being cheep

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #2

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Just use the 3-in-1. You are being practical. If you run out there is some on my bench.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Get a quart of 5-20 synthetic down at WallyWorld and you are set for 10 years.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #4

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Well gun oil is unique among all the oils. First of all, the metal for the guns is found underground, like truffles. Then of course, there’s all the smelting and forming and machining and whatnot. Then those guns that aren’t sold, go to the big drum where they’re tumbled with big boulders and get busted up. Then the pieces are transferred to drums with smaller rocks and stones to make the gun pieces smaller & smaller. When the gun pieces are small enough, they’re put into the giant press. The press squeezes all the oil out of what’s left of the guns and that’s how gun oil is made. Before the industrial revolution they were stomped on by quaint villagers in cobble nail shoes. The first pressing is the best, but it's expensive. So some people use synthetic motor oil instead.

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

And we are NOT going to tell you how they make baby oil......

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Gun oil is justdifferent grade of machine oil. It generally has different properties depending on need. Some works well in extreme cold some extreme hot. Some works well as a preservative none works worth a rat's ass as a lubricant.

3in1 is the same as rem oil which everyone loves for some unknown reason to me. Remoil Is one of the worst if not the worst gun oil out there. Barely on par with wd40.

The problem with most gun oils is they are very light and tend to evaporate. The military in between ww1 and ww2 new this and someone developed parkerizing as a means of protecting metal while working as a finish that like to soak up oil and create a layer that displaces water to prevent rust.

Blued guns dont hold oil well at all so it evaporates quite rapidly. The thicker or viscous the oil the better the lubricity and reisistance to evaporation.

Grease is just an extremely viscous version of oil. Its also very messy and impractical to coat things your going to use a lot with grease. although it would preserve the metal well grease also has a great affinity for debris and dirt.

The happy median for lubrication is 30weight motor oil. Its halfway between grease and machine oil.

A good gun kit should have grease gun oil and motor oil to do three different jobs. Gun oil for preserving parts, motor oil for general lube on rotating moving parts and grease for things that rub.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Well gun oil is unique among all the oils. First of all, the metal for the guns is found underground, like truffles. Then of course, there’s all the smelting and forming and machining and whatnot. Then those guns that aren’t sold, go to the big drum where they’re tumbled with big boulders and get busted up. Then the pieces are transferred to drums with smaller rocks and stones to make the gun pieces smaller & smaller. When the gun pieces are small enough, they’re put into the giant press. The press squeezes all the oil out of what’s left of the guns and that’s how gun oil is made. Before the industrial revolution they were stomped on by quaint villagers in cobble nail shoes. The first pressing is the best, but it's expensive. So some people use synthetic motor oil instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And we are NOT going to tell you how they make baby oil......
gee, all this time i thought it was because it had the word "gun" on the label!

"baby oil" hmmm...... start with ...... and........ then.....ect., ect......

personally i like the Kano Kroil for it's multi-purpose uses in regards to firearms. wonderful product.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

30W Mobil One synthetic, only 25 cents an ounce and works great.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

KROIL is the best penetrating oil I have ever used- you can even remove lead and copper fouling from a bore with it- but not sure I would use it as a general lube. I DO keep a spray can of lithium grease- spritz on a Q tip, wipe rails and bottom of slide for autoloaders. Motor oil for rotating bits, light machine oil for rust prevention. But I DO keep a bottle of CLP in my range box. Less stuff to carry.

BTW, after you extract the baby oil..... well, you have heard of baby powder, right?

And about those girl scout cookies.....

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #10

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

They call it gun oil so they can demand a higher price for it. I use regular old machine oil and have been doing so for about sixty or so years. It worked for my father and it works for me. I still have a can of Singer sewing machine oil from the 1950's, it works great.

Last edited by chuckusaret; 09-13-2012 at 04:06 AM.