Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   what makes gun oil gun oil (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/what-makes-gun-oil-gun-oil-72322/)

robertusa123 09-13-2012 12:25 AM

what makes gun oil gun oil

Okay I give up what's so special about gun oil am I over paying can I use just good old 3 in 1. Or am I being cheep

hiwall 09-13-2012 12:42 AM

Just use the 3-in-1. You are being practical. If you run out there is some on my bench.

c3shooter 09-13-2012 12:51 AM

Get a quart of 5-20 synthetic down at WallyWorld and you are set for 10 years.

Vincine 09-13-2012 01:11 AM

Well gun oil is unique among all the oils. First of all, the metal for the guns is found underground, like truffles. Then of course, there’s all the smelting and forming and machining and whatnot. Then those guns that aren’t sold, go to the big drum where they’re tumbled with big boulders and get busted up. Then the pieces are transferred to drums with smaller rocks and stones to make the gun pieces smaller & smaller. When the gun pieces are small enough, they’re put into the giant press. The press squeezes all the oil out of what’s left of the guns and that’s how gun oil is made. Before the industrial revolution they were stomped on by quaint villagers in cobble nail shoes. The first pressing is the best, but it's expensive. So some people use synthetic motor oil instead.

c3shooter 09-13-2012 02:25 AM

And we are NOT going to tell you how they make baby oil......:eek:

JonM 09-13-2012 02:49 AM

Gun oil is justdifferent grade of machine oil. It generally has different properties depending on need. Some works well in extreme cold some extreme hot. Some works well as a preservative none works worth a rat's ass as a lubricant.

3in1 is the same as rem oil which everyone loves for some unknown reason to me. Remoil Is one of the worst if not the worst gun oil out there. Barely on par with wd40.

The problem with most gun oils is they are very light and tend to evaporate. The military in between ww1 and ww2 new this and someone developed parkerizing as a means of protecting metal while working as a finish that like to soak up oil and create a layer that displaces water to prevent rust.

Blued guns dont hold oil well at all so it evaporates quite rapidly. The thicker or viscous the oil the better the lubricity and reisistance to evaporation.

Grease is just an extremely viscous version of oil. Its also very messy and impractical to coat things your going to use a lot with grease. although it would preserve the metal well grease also has a great affinity for debris and dirt.

The happy median for lubrication is 30weight motor oil. Its halfway between grease and machine oil.

A good gun kit should have grease gun oil and motor oil to do three different jobs. Gun oil for preserving parts, motor oil for general lube on rotating moving parts and grease for things that rub.

Axxe55 09-13-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 938553)
Well gun oil is unique among all the oils. First of all, the metal for the guns is found underground, like truffles. Then of course, there’s all the smelting and forming and machining and whatnot. Then those guns that aren’t sold, go to the big drum where they’re tumbled with big boulders and get busted up. Then the pieces are transferred to drums with smaller rocks and stones to make the gun pieces smaller & smaller. When the gun pieces are small enough, they’re put into the giant press. The press squeezes all the oil out of what’s left of the guns and that’s how gun oil is made. Before the industrial revolution they were stomped on by quaint villagers in cobble nail shoes. The first pressing is the best, but it's expensive. So some people use synthetic motor oil instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 938661)
And we are NOT going to tell you how they make baby oil......:eek:

gee, all this time i thought it was because it had the word "gun" on the label!:D

"baby oil" hmmm...... start with ...... and........ then.....ect., ect......:eek:

personally i like the Kano Kroil for it's multi-purpose uses in regards to firearms. wonderful product.

jackrich3 09-13-2012 03:50 AM

30W Mobil One synthetic, only 25 cents an ounce and works great.

c3shooter 09-13-2012 04:03 AM

KROIL is the best penetrating oil I have ever used- you can even remove lead and copper fouling from a bore with it- but not sure I would use it as a general lube. I DO keep a spray can of lithium grease- spritz on a Q tip, wipe rails and bottom of slide for autoloaders. Motor oil for rotating bits, light machine oil for rust prevention. But I DO keep a bottle of CLP in my range box. Less stuff to carry.

BTW, after you extract the baby oil..... well, you have heard of baby powder, right?

And about those girl scout cookies.....:rolleyes:

chuckusaret 09-13-2012 04:03 AM

They call it gun oil so they can demand a higher price for it. I use regular old machine oil and have been doing so for about sixty or so years. It worked for my father and it works for me. I still have a can of Singer sewing machine oil from the 1950's, it works great.