What is good for getting the lead out?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > What is good for getting the lead out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default What is good for getting the lead out?

I shoot only copper-jacketed bullets in my firearms because I have had some bad experiences with lead fouling. I haven't had any trouble getting the copper fouling out. Recently I shot some of my friend's .45acp loads through my Colt 1911. It has a stainless barrel. The bullets were Laser-Cast 200-grain semi wadcutters. The inside of the bore was okay but there was some bad lead fouling on the top of the chamber, where the bullets made contact when feeding into the chamber. I had a dickens of a time removing this fouling. I tried different solvents without much luck. I was able to remove a lot of it with hot soapy water and Soft Scrub. An old gunsmith suggested I try some 0000 steel wool to remove the rest. I always keep some 0000 steel wool around for woodworking so I gave it a try. I wrapped some of the steel wool around a wooden dowel, sprayed some kroil on it and careful spun it by hand in the chamber. This removed the rest of the lead fouling. When I was finished I had a very clean and shiny barrel and the materials and motions I used did not scratch it. Okay, I know I have said a lot, but here is my question. What would have made this job much easier and safe for the barrel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3079 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 377

One of the common recommendations put forth here is to use a piece of a copper (copper only, accept no substitutes) Chore Boy scouring pad in much the same manner as you used the steel wool. The Lewis Lead remover is another, more expensive option. I use one for my .357s as needed.
Steel on steel, no bueno.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Shooter's Choice bore solvent. The 0000 steel wool is good, but use it wet with solvent.

My 10mm Smith did the same thing with a 200 gr truncated cone bullet. Lead in the "roof" of the chamber. My 175 gr truncated cone bullet does not do that at all

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think I will keep it simple and not use those bullets again. I sold all of the loads I had. From now on it will only be copper jacked bullets through my 1911. The copper seems to come out real easy with the Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Get the Led out!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

They make small brass screens that wrap around a hard rubber dowel that attaches to the end of a cleaning road. These are good for getting out hard to remove leading.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

I have a older version of this and it works quite well

image-1621359562.jpg  

Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 AM   #8

Kroil will take all the lead out, just soak the barrel and let it sit for a couple of hours and scrub with brass brush, then patches...used it for years and shoot lead all the time, no leading problems at all in any of my 30+ handguns

Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2621 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I think I will keep it simple and not use those bullets again. I sold all of the loads I had. From now on it will only be copper jacked bullets through my 1911. The copper seems to come out real easy with the Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner.
Consider lead cloth. It removes charcoal as well.

True, there is no particular need to shoot factory LRN ammo. Except the WC/SWC for serious target work, jacketed ammo is the way to go.

The Lewis kit is for heavy duty jobs like the forcing cones in revolvers. No need to scrub a 1911 that hard.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2115 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 793

If the gun is not malfunctioning I would not be concerned with the lead. Lead itself is a lubricant. I would just keep shooting the gun with plated/jacketed ammo. The lead will come out on it's own.

If the gun is malfunctioning I would take the barrel to a gun shop for an ultrasonic cleaning. If there is fouling on the feed ramp/chamber rim, there is more fouling in other areas of the barrel.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-29-2014 at 12:58 PM.