Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > what all do I need

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default what all do I need

to clean a rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Assuming you're not talking black powder. Clp, a caliber specific mop,patches and Q-tips should suffice.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

What kind of rifle? There are many out there. But most of them require the same approach. Here's a vid:

Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just picked up an M&P15-22... thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

bore brush in the caliber you are using, a rod for that brush, a jag to push the patches through, patches for the caliber you are using, a bore solvent of some sort, gun oil and grease, some sort of mat or pad for cleaning, or even old newspapers work great for this. and some various rags for wiping down.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One more thing i might add not that u need it with the 15/22 is a bore guide if u can't get at the bore from the breach end .

F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 787 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Great little rifle. Love mine!

If you are asking about total care and feeding, you may add a can/jar/tube of some grease (I think mine may be lithium, not sure, have had for years!). I put a very thin, can't hardly see it but its shinny, layer on the metal to metal rail points. I have also found that it needs 40 grain ammo to cycle right...just like my Walther.

Enjoy!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Just need some basic items. To make it simple a good quality cleaning rod, Brass Cleaning Patch Tip, Brass Cleaning Rod Brush, Solvent, Lubricant and Patches (223/5.56 (22 cal.) Patches if an AR. I prefer the cleaning rods with the bearing handles and coated rod like the Dewey Rods. There are other companies that make similar fine cleaning rods. My theory is if you have a fine weapon and a good rod costs about $30.00 that will last for years what is the issue of buying cheap junk that can in fact damage riflings and the crown of the barrel! We buy a $400 + $????? dollar weapon and buy a $19.00aluminum cleaning kit. Or worse the military surplus three piece steel cleaning rod set! "OH NO Taboo!" As we know you get what you pay for. My weapons deserve the best I can afford. I value them too much and want them to last for years to come so some in my family can enjoy some of them for years down the road.

One other thought if you are referring to an AR Rifle grease is not recommended or used by most all of the manufactures. A good quality lube is all that is required. However other weapons for example the M1-Garand and M-14 style rifles use grease on the bolt and it is necessary. In addition Rem Oil is not recommended for the AR-15 or M-4 Rifle. It is a good product for it's intended use but will bake off if the AR or M-4 heats up. It is good for most weapons like shotguns, bolt guns, fishing reels and other applications. But will not stay on the parts of an AR if it gets hot.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

these are the two products i am using now on most of my firearms. the Kano Kroil is a good all purpose cleaner and protector and can be used as a bore solvent. the stuff works great. the Lucas Gun Oil is what i use on my AR. the stuff works awesome and doesn't burn off easily.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Default M&p 15-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiebrown13 View Post
i just picked up an m&p15-22... Thanks!
You will love it!