Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   what all do I need (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/what-all-do-i-need-91886/)

JackieBrown13 06-06-2013 08:10 PM

what all do I need

to clean a rifle?

mountainman13 06-06-2013 08:13 PM

Assuming you're not talking black powder. Clp, a caliber specific mop,patches and Q-tips should suffice.

PanBaccha 06-06-2013 08:13 PM

What kind of rifle? There are many out there. But most of them require the same approach. Here's a vid:

JackieBrown13 06-06-2013 08:15 PM

I just picked up an M&P15-22... thanks!

Axxe55 06-06-2013 09:06 PM

bore brush in the caliber you are using, a rod for that brush, a jag to push the patches through, patches for the caliber you are using, a bore solvent of some sort, gun oil and grease, some sort of mat or pad for cleaning, or even old newspapers work great for this. and some various rags for wiping down.

Fisherking 06-07-2013 07:26 PM

One more thing i might add not that u need it with the 15/22 is a bore guide if u can't get at the bore from the breach end .

F.K.

TruggieTex 06-07-2013 07:41 PM

Great little rifle. Love mine!

If you are asking about total care and feeding, you may add a can/jar/tube of some grease (I think mine may be lithium, not sure, have had for years!). I put a very thin, can't hardly see it but its shinny, layer on the metal to metal rail points. I have also found that it needs 40 grain ammo to cycle right...just like my Walther.

Enjoy!

Sniper03 06-07-2013 08:07 PM

Just need some basic items. To make it simple a good quality cleaning rod, Brass Cleaning Patch Tip, Brass Cleaning Rod Brush, Solvent, Lubricant and Patches (223/5.56 (22 cal.) Patches if an AR. I prefer the cleaning rods with the bearing handles and coated rod like the Dewey Rods. There are other companies that make similar fine cleaning rods. My theory is if you have a fine weapon and a good rod costs about $30.00 that will last for years what is the issue of buying cheap junk that can in fact damage riflings and the crown of the barrel! We buy a $400 + $????? dollar weapon and buy a $19.00aluminum cleaning kit. Or worse the military surplus three piece steel cleaning rod set! "OH NO Taboo!" As we know you get what you pay for. My weapons deserve the best I can afford. I value them too much and want them to last for years to come so some in my family can enjoy some of them for years down the road. ;)

One other thought if you are referring to an AR Rifle grease is not recommended or used by most all of the manufactures. A good quality lube is all that is required. However other weapons for example the M1-Garand and M-14 style rifles use grease on the bolt and it is necessary. In addition Rem Oil is not recommended for the AR-15 or M-4 Rifle. It is a good product for it's intended use but will bake off if the AR or M-4 heats up. It is good for most weapons like shotguns, bolt guns, fishing reels and other applications. But will not stay on the parts of an AR if it gets hot.

Axxe55 06-07-2013 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
these are the two products i am using now on most of my firearms. the Kano Kroil is a good all purpose cleaner and protector and can be used as a bore solvent. the stuff works great. the Lucas Gun Oil is what i use on my AR. the stuff works awesome and doesn't burn off easily.

johnr1943 06-07-2013 11:24 PM

M&p 15-22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackiebrown13 (Post 1269340)
i just picked up an m&p15-22... Thanks!

You will love it! :D