Weapon resilance questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Weapon resilance questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Weapon resilance questions

I would like to know, if possible, how resilant is the case or frame of a firearm. I'm specifically speaking of heavy caliber weapons such as machine guns, anti-materiel rifles, automatic grenade launchers, you name it.

First, can a portable firearm, like a pistol, or an assault rifle (shotgun buckshot included. Breacher rounds excluded) severely damage one of the guns mentioned above?

Second, if they can, can they do the same regardless of range, within the weapon's effective range?

Then, in the hypothetic case you must shot from a distance, what are your chances to achieve a sure shot against the targeted weapon's vital pieces? This within the capabilities given by infantry training, and combat experience.

Thanks in advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9354 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Too many variables to give you a pat answer. Will depend on WHICH weapon is the target, which weapon is the shooter, range to target, skill of shooter, etc etc etc.

You are much more likely to damage the larger and softer thing that is the USER of the machinegun, grenade launcher, etc. While it is possible to damage the thinner, lighter components of a crew served weapon, it is an easier shot to hit the machine gunner, the grenadier, etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with C3. the operator is a much easier to damage than the weapon he's operating, plus he's much easier to hit.

depending on the weapon used, the ammo used and where on the weapon you hit, might mean the difference in superficial damage, or putting it out of commission.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1996 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Most military weapons heavier than a RPG are armored. Unless you have a 50 cal machine gun or a 20 mm cannon you are not going to more than superficial damage. With light weapons that can easily be carried it is much easier to damage the operator.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most military weapons heavier than a RPG are armored. Unless you have a 50 cal machine gun or a 20 mm cannon you are not going to more than superficial damage. With light weapons that can easily be carried it is much easier to damage the operator.
i'm pretty sure a Barrett with some armor piercing shells could do more than superficial damage.

but the operator is still the better target.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #6

Liked 2600 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I imagine AP rounds at closer range might do some damage.

If you could get in that close, why not disable the unit by

hand?

I would be worried about deflected fragments hitting me, at

close range.

Of course, all this is moot, if you are not shooting sub-MOA

accurate, for any distance shots.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 776 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 49

n November 2009, Harrison consecutively struck two Taliban machine gunners south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) using a L115A3 Long Range Rifle.[3][4][5][6][7] In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner then a third which disabled the machine gun.[8] Yes it can disable a weapon, but what everyone is saying is that is a secondary objective when its easier to shoot the BG holding the weapon.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Axxe55 Likes This