Ultra-sonic cleaner - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

Ultra-sonic cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 539 Times on 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks

So you're basically just breaking the pistol down to parts and putting them in? How does it do on barrels? I would assume that I would want to remove wood grips.
It does good on barrels. I put the barrel in turn it on and when the timer shuts it off I run a brush through it a couple time then back in for another cycle. Wipe it down run patches through it and presto clean barrel.

I would pull the grips off. But at the same time I don't put the frames in. Mine don't typically get that dirty. Kind of anal about cleaning after shooting.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4326 Times on 2926 Posts
Likes Given: 2166

Careful with the frame if you have tritium or fiberoptic sights. A time or two won't do harm, but in the long run it's controversial. Even regular sight paint may fade. Barrels, bolt assemblies, anything all-steel are the best candidates for an ultrasonic jacuzzi.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #13

Liked 539 Times on 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
Careful with the frame if you have tritium or fiberoptic sights. A time or two won't do harm, but in the long run it's controversial. Even regular sight paint may fade. Barrels, bolt assemblies, anything all-steel are the best candidates for an ultrasonic jacuzzi.
+1. I don't personally put frames and or slides in just small metal parts and barrels. Bolt carriers and such as well take the dip.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #14

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Many of my pistols have fiber optic sights. Maybe the barrels and the lowers would be best. I always thought I did a pretty good job cleaning guns but when I broke down my xdm to put a trigger kit in my fingers were black by the time I was done. I'm apparently getting a lot of gunk in the lower assembly.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #15

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Even after 500 or 600 rounds there is nothing in my guns that can't be removed in seconds with CLP powder blast and compressed air. WD40 and CLP powder blast both remove cosmoline very easily. WD40 will not damage the wood finish on your rifle.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the RCBS one and love it . I use it with vinegar water and dish detergent for cleaning my brass . I use the Hornadies parts cleaner for ..... gun parts . It smells like pine soil .... humm but it works well .
Make shure u dry and lube all your parts to keep the rust off.
If u get one u will be suprized at all the cleaning u will be doing .
F.K.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

WD-40 will leave a hard residue on guns I don't recomend WD-40 on guns . That's just me . I have taken apart too many guns that were all shelacked up with stuck fireing pins and slugish bolts because of WD-40.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a super deal on the large hornady cleaner that i can put a 16 inch upper in. I love it but have learnd a few things. I have heat on mine and hotter is not always better. Brass solution is for brass and brass only. Nickle plated brass turns black so i tumble it now. The steel solution will eat aluminium and is for steel only so watch your frames and inserts. So to shorten this i love my ultrasonic cleaner never had brass this clean or firearm parts with so little effort just keep in mind it is not the end all cleaning solution but it makes a lot of jobs easier.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 12-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #19

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

[QUOTE=desiel;1461726] never had brass this cleanQUOTE]

...then you have never used a tumbler with steel media.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is true i do not use stainless media but can you put a 16 inch upper in your tumbler for cleaning. Stainless seems to be the new buzz for brass cleaning but i wanted a more all purpose tool in my reloading room and an ultra sonic cleaner will do more than brass. A friend of mone has started to gather stainless media materials so i will be able to compare then.

Desiel