Ultra-sonic cleaner
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Ultra-sonic cleaner

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aandabooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,589
Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Ultra-sonic cleaner

Anybody using one just for cleaning pistols and parts? I'm considering one after doing a trigger job on my XDM and seeing how much gunk is down in the internals.

If you use one, which one and are you happy with it? I'm not thinking of a huge one due to cost.
aandabooks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aandabooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,589
Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Nobody have an opinion?
aandabooks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,094
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

I'm wanting one too. I spent 4 hours cleaning the cosmoline out of my uncles new Mosin. In 30 minutes I could have it done with a ultrasonic and then spend some time cleaning the parts that don't fit. I think harbor freight has some small models for under $50 that can fit things like pistols and small rifle parts in.
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ctshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,016
Liked 538 Times on 290 Posts

Default

I stole my wife's jewelry cleaner. Bought it harbor freight couple years ago and she hardly used it so I stole it fair and square. I just started using it and have it filled with hoppes right now. Works really good on all the small stuff. I have put bolt assemblies in, barrels, and other small parts. I think I am going to try balistol next see how that works.
ctshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ctshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,016
Liked 538 Times on 290 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44
I'm wanting one too. I spent 4 hours cleaning the cosmoline out of my uncles new Mosin. In 30 minutes I could have it done with a ultrasonic and then spend some time cleaning the parts that don't fit. I think harbor freight has some small models for under $50 that can fit things like pistols and small rifle parts in.
The way I do my mosin's when I get new ones is get a couple of smaller aluminum pans from dollar store disassemble the mosin and put the small stuff in the pans and cover with mineral spirits. I then put the barrel and receiver assy in a 3" PVC pipe with a cap on one end and fill that with mineral sports and let it sit while I finish up on the small stuff with a brush and such.
ctshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,848
Liked 3679 Times on 2527 Posts
Likes Given: 1814

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Nobody have an opinion?
Yes, take out the old spring or anything to be replaced, then clean, then assemble. This way you maximize the parts exposure to ultrasonic cavitation.

That said, a trigger group rarely gets soiled to the point where a powr wash with Gun Scrubber won't do. But you know what you asre dealing with.
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,094
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter
The way I do my mosin's when I get new ones is get a couple of smaller aluminum pans from dollar store disassemble the mosin and put the small stuff in the pans and cover with mineral spirits. I then put the barrel and receiver assy in a 3" PVC pipe with a cap on one end and fill that with mineral sports and let it sit while I finish up on the small stuff with a brush and such.
Yeah I take those aluminum pans, fill halfway with hot water and simple green, then scrub all the internals down. For the barrel I hung it from a ladder over a garbage can and covered it all in brake cleaner then sprayed CLP all down the barrel and in the hard to reach places, then take a toothbrush and scrub down.
__________________
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.
zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ctshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,016
Liked 538 Times on 290 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44
Yeah I take those aluminum pans, fill halfway with hot water and simple green, then scrub all the internals down. For the barrel I hung it from a ladder over a garbage can and covered it all in brake cleaner then sprayed CLP all down the barrel and in the hard to reach places, then take a toothbrush and scrub down.
The beauty of the pipe and mineral spirits is you just let it soak I also sometimes tie a string and move it up in down in the pipe a quick spray with brake clean and presto clean.
ctshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aandabooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,589
Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
I stole my wife's jewelry cleaner. Bought it harbor freight couple years ago and she hardly used it so I stole it fair and square. I just started using it and have it filled with hoppes right now. Works really good on all the small stuff. I have put bolt assemblies in, barrels, and other small parts. I think I am going to try balistol next see how that works.
So you're basically just breaking the pistol down to parts and putting them in? How does it do on barrels? I would assume that I would want to remove wood grips.
aandabooks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 4,013
Liked 1331 Times on 891 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Default

I have also been interested in one of these. Seems to me that it'd be way easier and less messy than spraying sh!t. Check out Grizzly.com, they have several of these US cleaners of varying sizes, small ones are reasonably priced.
clr8ter is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Barrel Length: Sig Ultra vs Kimber Ultra Brad_CCW 1911 Forum 6 11-11-2013 03:10 PM
Hornady Ultra Sonic Brass Cleaner-No juice Pekin7 Ammunition & Reloading 10 04-01-2013 11:30 PM
Anyone used a Lyman Sonic Brass Cleaner? culdee Ammunition & Reloading 4 08-17-2011 01:27 AM
Ultra sonic cleaning ktmboyz The Club House 6 04-20-2011 12:10 PM
Hornady Sonic Brass Cleaner mrm14 Ammunition & Reloading 0 04-12-2010 10:58 PM