The trick to removing cosmoline, is??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

The trick to removing cosmoline, is???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Brake clean. My son cleaned one up real fast with that.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mosin.net or 762x54R.net has huge amounts of accurate detailed information oh how to do this.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kerosene and/or later fluid works well

Old 08-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AutoCorrect works well

Lighter fluid

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #15

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyWayne View Post
Kerosene and/or later fluid works well
I've found Kerosene to be the best. The main reason is Cosmoline is a petroleum based product. So based on that it will remove better with a petroleum based solvent. Back in the mid 90's I bought a new, unissued Enfield complete with bayonet, still mummy wrapped in the Cosmoline. I removed the bolt and magazine and placed them in a 2 pound coffee can filled with warm, clean Kerosene. It was Summer at the time and I was living in Lake Havasu City, Arizona and the outside temperature in the Sun was close to 120 F.

While the bolt and magazine were soaking I pushed a cleaning rod through the barrel and Cosomoline came out like toothpaste squeezed from a tube. I then used conventional patches and bronze brushes with the warm Kerosene, washing down the entire gun. Afterward I blasted everything with compressed air, and the gun was spotless. I gave it a good oiling and off to the range I went. The gun performed flawlessly. I did the same with 2 Mausers I bought from Mitchell's a time later. They weren't as bad, but the bolts on both rifles were heavily smeared with Cosmoline. After the warm Kerosene and air blast treatment, they were clean and good to go as well. There was zero need to disassemble them. The warm Kerosene dissolved the Cosmoline and it flowed out of all of the nooks and crannies.

You can use WD-40 in place of Kerosene, but be sure to really blow it out of the internals of the weapon because it does leave a slightly gummy residue that Kerosene doesn't. It sure smells better however.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #16

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I should emphasize the importance of warming up the Kerosene if you use this method. Cosmoline can be easily melted in a double boiler into a liquid. This is how it is applied to a lot of small parts. Cosmoline is warmed, and the small parts dipped into it. A small amount will adhere to the metal, and after it cools it forms that thick, tacky, waxy consistency Cosmoline is famous for.

If you do one of these projects in the Winter, warming the Kerosene makes it work much better. Just don't try to heat it on the kitchen stove or your wife will kill you. It stinks up the house something awful. If you have an electric hot plate, they work well on a low or medium setting. Just place the metal coffee can, or whatever container you're using directly on it.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #17

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I remove the stock and take all the metal parts to a local plating company where they run the parts thru three cleaning tanks. All parts come out looking new.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #18

Liked 402 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret
I remove the stock and take all the metal parts to a local plating company where they run the parts thru three cleaning tanks. All parts come out looking new.
Where do you do that? How much does it cost?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't tried this but I wonder about WD40. That stuff works on a lot of things.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #20

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
Where do you do that? How much does it cost?
I have a neighbor that works at shop in North Palm Beach and I have no idea as to what the cost would be, to me it was free.