Taurus TCP 738 bullet feed jam

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Taurus TCP 738 bullet feed jam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus TCP 738 bullet feed jam

Am I the only one who notices a jam when i feed my 380 pt 738? The only certain way for it to fully feed is for me to give it some effort and push the slide forward after i cock it instead of letting just the slides spring do the work. Is this bad, do i need to oil it more? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2659 Times on 1293 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

The explanation as to exactly what you do is a little vague.
But here are some things that might cause a similar problem.

1. All Semi Auto Pistols should be properly lubed.
2. Some are more temperamental when it comes to your ammunition selection. As I will explain my experience with my Kahr P-380. When loading it with Federal Hydra-Shok ammunition I must lock the slide to the rear with the pistol's slide lock. And then using my thumb push the slide lock down allowing the Slide to go forward with the full force of the slide and spring. It will chamber the round everytime. If I pull the slide back by hand and then let it go the round will not go all the way forward and the round is not totally in the chamber and locked into battery! If I push on the rear of the slide it will lock up! Although after the first round is in the chamber it will fire every round in the magazine without a problem until empty! I went to the New Hornady Critical Defense 380 ammunition with the Red Tip and I can pull it back by hand and release it and it will chamber every time. So your ammunition selection could very well be your problem. The Bullet configuration makes a lot of difference as to if it will feed or not. You should never ride the slide forward when loading any semi auto pistol or other semi auto weapon.
3. When firing the pistol Limp Wristing can cause the semi auto to not lock up after the shot or jam during the shooting process causing stove pipes and failures to feed or extract. In the smaller semi auto pistols which have less recoil force to the rear it is very critical that you grip them firm and do not allow your wrist and hand to move to the rear when they are fired. When the slide moves to the rear it must have enough forward resistance against the frame to allow the slide to travel completely to the rear.
Just a few ideas. If you could give us more details that would be great as to what you are exactly doing and what is happening. Or try the ammunition recommendation and be sure to lube the pistol.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
The explanation as to exactly what you do is a little vague.
But here are some things that might cause a similar problem.

1. All Semi Auto Pistols should be properly lubed.
2. Some are more temperamental when it comes to your ammunition selection. As I will explain my experience with my Kahr P-380. When loading it with Federal Hydra-Shok ammunition I must lock the slide to the rear with the pistol's slide lock. And then using my thumb push the slide lock down allowing the Slide to go forward with the full force of the slide and spring. It will chamber the round everytime. If I pull the slide back by hand and then let it go the round will not go all the way forward and the round is not totally in the chamber and locked into battery! If I push on the rear of the slide it will lock up! Although after the first round is in the chamber it will fire every round in the magazine without a problem until empty! I went to the New Hornady Critical Defense 380 ammunition with the Red Tip and I can pull it back by hand and release it and it will chamber every time. So your ammunition selection could very well be your problem. The Bullet configuration makes a lot of difference as to if it will feed or not. You should never ride the slide forward when loading any semi auto pistol or other semi auto weapon.
3. When firing the pistol Limp Wristing can cause the semi auto to not lock up after the shot or jam during the shooting process causing stove pipes and failures to feed or extract. In the smaller semi auto pistols which have less recoil force to the rear it is very critical that you grip them firm and do not allow your wrist and hand to move to the rear when they are fired. When the slide moves to the rear it must have enough forward resistance against the frame to allow the slide to travel completely to the rear.
Just a few ideas. If you could give us more details that would be great as to what you are exactly doing and what is happening. Or try the ammunition recommendation and be sure to lube the pistol.

Yes to be honest i havent even gotten a chance to shoot it, this just plain chamber testing and yes i have the red plastic tipped bullets and maybe that itself is sticking to the feed from a weird angle, or i should just oil it.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's a common issue with the TCP. I have one and it does it at least once every time I go to the range. I have about 700 rounds through it. They also have double feed and stove pipe issues. I am going to send mine back to Taurus. I have heard that once they work on it the issues seem to go away.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #5

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I have a TCP and had the same problems when I first got it. After trying a couple different ammos I found that Winchester pdxi ammo feeds better than most others but it still had issues. Now before I say what I did I'm going to tell you that I do not recommend anyone doing their own gunsmith work unless you either don't care if the gun is useless afterwards or you know what your doing. I took some fine grit emery cloth and polished up the feed ramp and haven't had a problem since. I didn't hit the bottom that much bit from halfway up the ramp to the top where it enters the chamber I polished down a good bit. Once again, I am not saying for anyone to do this though. If you don't know what you are doing or aren't careful you could ruin your gun.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 277 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 834

Typical Taurus

Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556
I have a TCP and had the same problems when I first got it. After trying a couple different ammos I found that Winchester pdxi ammo feeds better than most others but it still had issues. Now before I say what I did I'm going to tell you that I do not recommend anyone doing their own gunsmith work unless you either don't care if the gun is useless afterwards or you know what your doing. I took some fine grit emery cloth and polished up the feed ramp and haven't had a problem since. I didn't hit the bottom that much bit from halfway up the ramp to the top where it enters the chamber I polished down a good bit. Once again, I am not saying for anyone to do this though. If you don't know what you are doing or aren't careful you could ruin your gun.
Thanks i saw some youtube vids explaining that method and i just might..carefully.. Try it.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPEZO
It's a common issue with the TCP. I have one and it does it at least once every time I go to the range. I have about 700 rounds through it. They also have double feed and stove pipe issues. I am going to send mine back to Taurus. I have heard that once they work on it the issues seem to go away.
Ive heard the same though im not sure if get a lifetime warranty if its a used gun..i hope! They say it goes with the gun not the owner!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My gun was bought new. Also the warranty is for the life of the gun not the owner!