Snake or Rod?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Snake or Rod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Snake or Rod?

Is there a preferred method for bore cleaning? Because of the corrosive ammo for a Mosin Nagant, I was thinking the boresnake would clean better than pads and brushes. Those are fine for all my other firearms, I would suspect, but the big gun gets dirtier than most because of the nature of the ammo.

Any opinions?

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I use both on the Mosins just to be sure...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5800 Times on 3028 Posts
Likes Given: 397

cleaning rods over snake. i see the snake as a field expidient type of device. one that is easily tucked into a backpack on a hunting trip not for serious cleaning especially with corrosives.

you get the salts on the snake and your just pulling the salts up and down the bore.

the best way to clean out corrosives is VERY hot but not boiling water a little bit of soap in a buck stick the muzzle in the soapy water pull rod back and forth with a soft nylon brush or a worn or undersized bore brush. this will pull the hot soapy water up into the bore washing out the salts. the heat makes it dry instantly without rust.

then run some dry patches and clean as normal with a proper brush solvent and oil.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I use this method: soak the snake in your liquid of choice (I like CLP or Remington Bore Cleaner). Pull it through until it is inside the length of the barrel, then let it sit for a few hours. THEN I run it through a few times, THEN I use a brush, then a patch. Patch comes out clean after just a couple times.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2959 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
cleaning rods over snake. i see the snake as a field expidient type of device. one that is easily tucked into a backpack on a hunting trip not for serious cleaning especially with corrosives.

you get the salts on the snake and your just pulling the salts up and down the bore.

the best way to clean out corrosives is VERY hot but not boiling water a little bit of soap in a buck stick the muzzle in the soapy water pull rod back and forth with a soft nylon brush or a worn or undersized bore brush. this will pull the hot soapy water up into the bore washing out the salts. the heat makes it dry instantly without rust.

then run some dry patches and clean as normal with a proper brush solvent and oil.
+1
The Snake is something you use when you can't do it correctly.

The soapy water technique reminds of black powder shooting. Should be effective though.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld