Silica Gel Desiccants - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Silica Gel Desiccants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I saw someone mention the color changing desiccant packs. There are two that I know of, one is blue colored beads that turn pink and there is one that is brown that turns dark green. The blue ones I know can be heated slow and low and will change back to their original color allowing them to be reused. I am not so sure that any of the others can be dried and reused.

Even if you vacuum seal your ammo, it doesn't hurt to put a thin desiccant pack inside the box before you do just to insure it stays dry. Especially if you are packing it away for more than a year or happen to live where the humidity is very high and/or has frequent risks of flooding.

I am listing a couple of links to desiccant sites where folks can learn more about these. Though I do not suggest going out and buying them (unless you really wish to) as these things are packed in so many electronic games, televisions, computers and what-not, just put the word out to your non-2A friends that you collect and reuse them. Just have them put them into old medicine bottles for you.
http://www.agmcontainer.com/desiccantcity/desiccant_desipak.htm

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/silica-gel-packets/moisture-indicating-silica-gel-packets-cobalt-chloride-free/ This product turns from orange to dark green

http://www.veritemp.com/Products/Packaged+Desiccants/5-gram+COLOR+CHANGING+Silica+Gel++%28Clear+Film%29+D esiccants+%2850+bag%29 This product turns from blue to pink

With the price increase in Ammo, I do not give warning shots.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I get mine from my work. When we get new DC drives for our machines or any type of electronic's that have those packs in them i grab them. That are about the size of a softball and weight about a pound each. I put them in the oven on low heat for a little bit and they work great. I have around 15 of them in a bag waiting to be used.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7785 Times on 4673 Posts
Likes Given: 9761

Does one really need to put a desiccant in with ammo? I've heard people say they've fired rounds that were 30 years old and just kept in a drawer or closet and the rounds were perfectly fine.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3097 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Does one really need to put a desiccant in with ammo? I've heard people say they've fired rounds that were 30 years old and just kept in a drawer or closet and the rounds were perfectly fine.
I hate giving "It depends" answers, but, I have to.

It depends on so many things. I believe the latest American Handgunner magazine did an article on ammunition that has been flooded. http://www.americanhandgunner.com/flooded/
In some ammo, water did seep in and got the stuff wet. In some cases, Air pressure got by primer and bullet and had an affect on powder. Powder has a slow decomposition rate when left in the open air.
In some ammo that was "sealed", there was no problem.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 10-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #15

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do it just for piece of mind. Im sure it would be alright seems how i cant seem to keep ammo around long enough to let it go bad.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I hate giving "It depends" answers, but, I have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

It depends on so many things. I believe the latest American Handgunner magazine did an article on ammunition that has been flooded. http://www.americanhandgunner.com/flooded/
In some ammo, water did seep in and got the stuff wet. In some cases, Air pressure got by primer and bullet and had an affect on powder. Powder has a slow decomposition rate when left in the open air.
In some ammo that was "sealed", there was no problem.
Most Factory ammo will be fine if kept in a cool "dry" place, but say you live in an area with a high humidity and have a long term power outage in the summer months or live in a place Florida where even what you put into a box in a closet risks becoming wet with a hurricane or Kansas with a Tornado blowing through town. Even if you were to take an extra measure of vacuum packing it, the best of vacuum packing machines will not get all the air out, so in high humidity area's you would be sealing in moisture. I throw in a desiccant pack when vacuum packing just to be safe.

With the majority of the Ammo I have being my own hand reloads, as soon as I finish a box not intended for range shooting, I put it in a sealing bag with a desiccant and vacuum seal it.

With the cost of Ammo, its best to be safe than sorry.

With the price increase in Ammo, I do not give warning shots.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1465 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Ebay has a variety of desiccant packages for reasonable prices. I keep a couple that are about 1/2 LB in my gun safe.