SERIOUSLY!! Rattle can paint job?!?! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

SERIOUSLY!! Rattle can paint job?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 241 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 165

You could remove the cheap spray paint, and if the finish is still ugly, reapply Brownell's Bake On enamel, in O.D. green, coyote brown, black , etc. Still "rattle can" but more durable, or spray on cerakote with a $25 touch up spray handle on your compressor, WAY more durable. Not sure if the Chinese knock off 870 is worth even half of it's retail, but the Mosin thrown in is worth at least $200, certainly sweetens up the deal.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Liked 116 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I just bought gel paint stripper at Wal Mart and stripped an 835, plastic stock and all. It didn't melt the stock but I used Aluma Hyde II on it after. The smooth finish from the molding process was gone. My buddy has this shotgun still and the finish shows wear, it looks about like a used Remington Express. It's about 10 years in and holding up well.
If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #23
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lacquer Thinner did the job on both the metal parts and the wood stock with steel wool to apply it and a wash cloth to wipe it off.

Too bad I already stripped the shotgun barrel down to bare metal with a wire brush and steel wool as the thinner did not take off much if any of the bluing on the other parts.

The Mosin did have some older rust spots that were, patched up, I guess it the best way to say the way it looks.

What ever they put in there to fill in the small rusted out cratered areas was taken off by the Lacquer Thinner to leave bare shiny metal while the bluing around it seems intact.

I guess they have a type of bondo for rifle barrels?

I would like to coat them so suggestions of relatively easy methods to pretty them up would be appreciated.