Scratch removal

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Scratch removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Scratch removal

A there anyway to buff out some minor scratches on a stainless steel slide or frame? I just picked up a Colt Gold Cup 80 series and while it's in very good condition, there are those few scratches. They aren't noticeable unless you're looking but I'm OCD about somethings

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Flitz metal polish, soft cloth, patience.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1886 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 5664

Enjoy the scratches. Turn the OCD towards knowing each one, watching the new ones appear. Be comforted by knowing these will cause no harm, but add a patina that cries out that it deserves more than being locked in a dark safe, or relegated to a life of boredom.

Know why each one appeared and let it be a memory of an event, or it's time spent at your side. A gun holstered every day and removed each night will show it's time spent as your companion.
... or as noted above "Flitz metal polish, soft cloth, patience" could provide some memories of it's own.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Flitz metal polish, soft cloth, patience.
This ^^^^^^^

Flitz Metal Polish is the best thing to happen to Stainless Steel firearms. Some years back I bought a new Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum with the brushed Stainless Steel finish. It's normal to find a filthy Ruger when you open the box. They proof test them, and do not clean them afterward. But mine was exceptionally dirty. I cleaned it but it still looked very dull. Not satisfied, I went over the entire gun with Flitz and a soft terrycloth rag one morning while I was watching a Formula 1 race. When I was done the gun looked brilliant.

Afterward I gave the gun a good wet cleaning in clean Kerosene, followed by a blow job with compressed air, then a good oiling. It looked like a totally different piece. After you do the whole gun, if you still see scratches you can redo the scratched areas, concentrating on them. They will disappear unless they are exceptionally deep. Just be sure to polish in the direction of the brushed finish. And don't use it on the Ruger "Target Grey" finish. Just the brushed Stainless finish. This has become a routine with me now every few months. It really keeps Stainless guns looking beautiful.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

My SP 101 was looking a little less than spectacular so out came the Filtz, I had never used it on a gun but like said above, a soft cloth and a ton of patience and she was a thing of beauty once again.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.