Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > sandblaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default sandblaster

What is a decently priced sandblaster? Brands?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Something like this?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/blast-cabinets.html

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

BWilder,

What type are you speaking of Cabinet or Free Standing Tank Models?
The ones pictured by Mountainman are good for cabinets. Just be sure you have a big enough air compressor regarding CFMs to make the unit work correctly! That is the most important thing. The unit should advise of the CFM requirement and the compressor will advise of its capacity to produce X CFM. The Nozzle size also determines the CFM Demand!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 08-27-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I was looking more towards the cabinet ones. I like that one on harbor freight, just seal it up with some cauk

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7561 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Important health note- silica sand cuts extremely well- it is also deadly. The freshly shattered grains of sand are especially nasty. Produces a condition called silicosis when you inhale enough.

Fatal, no treatment, no cure, and a really crappy way to die. Watched dad go that way- too many years of running a rock drill, no respiratory protection.

2 means of dealing with it- first, do not breathe the air with silica. A well sealed cabinet will contain- but WAIT a few minutes for the airborne stuff to settle before opening cabinet to remove work. Open air sandblasters wear a hood with an airline pumping clean air into the hood.

Second, use something other than silica sand. Black Beauty (coal slag) has no silica, works like sand. There are also soda blasters that use baking soda as the blast medium.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Important health note- silica sand cuts extremely well- it is also deadly. The freshly shattered grains of sand are especially nasty. Produces a condition called silicosis when you inhale enough.

Fatal, no treatment, no cure, and a really crappy way to die. Watched dad go that way- too many years of running a rock drill, no respiratory protection.

2 means of dealing with it- first, do not breathe the air with silica. A well sealed cabinet will contain- but WAIT a few minutes for the airborne stuff to settle before opening cabinet to remove work. Open air sandblasters wear a hood with an airline pumping clean air into the hood.

Second, use something other than silica sand. Black Beauty (coal slag) has no silica, works like sand. There are also soda blasters that use baking soda as the blast medium.
Right on C3, the Silica is nasty and I lost a friend to it. Soda works well and is cheap, coal slag works great for heavier applications. If you buy a cabinet seal every seam and opening with RTV while assembling it, hook a shop vac up to it to draw out the dust before opening the cabinet and I still wear a good respirator. I use one in my shop and change out the coal slag and soda depending on what I am doing.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.