Rust in Mosin-Nagant M91/30 breach

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Rust in Mosin-Nagant M91/30 breach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rust in Mosin-Nagant M91/30 breach

Hey all

My Mosin appears to have developed some rust right around the breach. The rust can't be seen: it's around that area right before the breach where the chamber widens up a bit, not sure if there's a term for that region. I've been pretty paranoid about cleaning that area and have been putting patches on my pinky to clean around there but apparently that hasn't been good enough and some rust is coming out on the patches now.

Any ideas on how to get the rust out and keep it out? And if it's a big deal?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #2

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Are you sure it is rust and not old dried cosmoline? If you are using hot water as part of your cleaning routine, after shooting surplus ammo, you should not develop any rust. If you have some in there, get it out with a bronze brush and oil; and don't use anything connected to a motor to do it.

There are some really good threads here and on other forums as to how to clean after shooting surplus.

Good luck

Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

How long have you been shooting it and what type of ammo are you using?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Are you sure it is rust and not old dried cosmoline? If you are using hot water as part of your cleaning routine, after shooting surplus ammo, you should not develop any rust. If you have some in there, get it out with a bronze brush and oil; and don't use anything connected to a motor to do it.

There are some really good threads here and on other forums as to how to clean after shooting surplus.

Good luck
Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty sure it's rust. I've had all of the cosmoline out for a while now. I don't use hot-water for cleaning I just use a spray bottle of room temp water. I did use a bronze brush after I discovered the rust but it's difficult to maneuver in there and there's still some rust left. Think I might try soaking that part of the barrel in oil for a few hours and then give it another shot.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rt1 View Post
How long have you been shooting it and what type of ammo are you using?
About a year, surplus ammo, fairly certain it's Russian. Red paint around the bullet and came in box with cyrillic characters.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Rust in a Mosin us usually the product of corrosive ammo X incomplete cleaning X exposure to moisture = Rust. If you eliminate any one of these your should not have an issue.

The salts from the corrosive primer collect moisture which rusts the part. Clean it properly, oil it well, and store it in a dry location and it won't rust. I have a room full of these old rifles that I shoot often, with corrosive ammo, and I never have a problem with rust or corrosion.