Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Rust On Handgun Slide - How To Remove It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rust On Handgun Slide - How To Remove It?

Smith & Wesson M&P 40 - only 200 round through it

There is no way to remove rust on the slide with either steel wool or fine grit sandpaper without screwing up the bluing and having to get it reblued is there?
What about the green scouring pad side of a sponge?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Go grocery shopping. Housewares aisle. COPPER ChoreBoy pot scrubber. Wet the slide with a good light oil (I like a product called Kroil, but use what you have) Let slide marinate for a couple of hours.

Moisten the COPPER (not copper plated steel, but COPPER) pot scrubber with some oil. Rub gently. Slide will turn a coppery color.

Take a clean soft cloth, few drops of oil. Rub slide, changing to clean spot now and again. Copper color comes off.

You CAN use steel wool, bronze wool, etc etc etc- this will do the LEAST harm to your bluing.
chore-boy-copper-pads-300x276.jpg

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 176 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Make sure, as c3shooter said, to keep oil on both the slide and the metal wool. Rub slowly, evenly and gently. I've seen it do wonders to all kinds of blued steel guns, parts, scopes, rings, etc.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks yall. I will try the copper.

I am so pissed this thing got rust on it. It's practically a brand new gun. It's only got like 200 rounds through it. I bought it in Nov. 2008 right after the communist queer got elected.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts

Using oil with the wool will create a slurry of iron oxide (rust) that is abrasive and actually can remove bluing pretty easily.
Using it dry, you can wipe the removed rust particles away. When finished, then oil and wipe with a soft cloth to remove the residual rust.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Given that you have only run 200 rounds through the gun I would shoot it until the rust comes off.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #7

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A handgun like it's owner will start showing it's age. You should both bear your scares with pride.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Lemme get this straight. You bought a new gun and haven't even looked at it in five years?

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Lemme get this straight. You bought a new gun and haven't even looked at it in five years?
Nah, I had it out of the case and was looking at it about 4 or 5 months ago, but didn't see any rust on it then. It looked like it had a good sheen of oil on it. The side that rusted is the side that lays down in the foam in the case. The foam must have absorbed all the oil and allowed moiture to get in. I guess I got a damp house.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMcHammer View Post
Nah, I had it out of the case and was looking at it about 4 or 5 months ago, but didn't see any rust on it then. It looked like it had a good sheen of oil on it. The side that rusted is the side that lays down in the foam in the case. The foam must have absorbed all the oil and allowed moiture to get in. I guess I got a damp house.
It's a well known fact that is you store steel or iron in styrofoam without the proper protection it will rust. Spend $5 on a silicone gun sock.

We had a guy in here a while back who could afford an $800 pistol but he couldn't afford a case or a range bag. You remind me of that guy.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato