Rifle cleaning - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Rifle cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7267 Times on 4016 Posts
Likes Given: 7037

Tluker,

the one piece rod isn't about increasing accuracy, it's about preventing the damage to the rifling and crown that often happens with jointed rods and/or aluminum rods.

Even if you only clean once a year, a good one piece steel or carbon fiber rod is a good investment.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #12

Liked 2758 Times on 1796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Tluker,

the one piece rod isn't about increasing accuracy, it's about preventing the damage to the rifling and crown that often happens with jointed rods and/or aluminum rods.

Even if you only clean once a year, a good one piece steel or carbon fiber rod is a good investment.
I agree. The rod out of my cheap all purpose kit broke when pulling a brush.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1881 Times on 1209 Posts
Likes Given: 4205

I agree that the one piece rod isn't about improving accuracy, but doing a lot of cleaning and shooting is. I don't think the one piece rods are necessary unless you are going to shoot and clean a lot. You theoretically could cause some damage to a steal barrel with an aluminum or brass rod (and decrease accuracy), but I can't imagine that happening if you're paying attention to what you're doing? People used universal rods for a really long time with few problems.

Now if you are going to shoot and clean a lot in pursuit of accuracy like bench rest shooters (who are the ones that came up with one piece rods) then its worth the extra money for a good one piece. A good one piece isn't going to flex and wear on the barrel like a universal, but it takes a whole lot of cleaning to actually put wear on a barrel with a universal rod. Most people aren't even going to come close to cleaning enough to cause that kind of wear. Cleaning just once a year it would take several generations for that to happen.

That's just my .02