Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Rifle cleaning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/rifle-cleaning-67942/)

PalmBeachF150 07-09-2012 08:42 PM

Rifle cleaning

Hey everyone new to guns and wanted to get some opinions on cleaning supplies. I have a savage axis .243. I took it to the range for the first time and need to clean it. Anyone want to share the knowledge on what y'all use to clean? Any better brands? Thanks for any replies.

roughneck266 07-09-2012 09:48 PM

I have an Otis kit. Have a small one that goes to the range with me, and a bigger one that stays at home. I have had zero problems with them. They do as good a job as any I have ever used. Sometimes I use different cleaning solutions or patches ( otis has round patches), but the premise behind their system is excellent.

PalmBeachF150 07-10-2012 01:09 PM

Going to check it out thanks.

TLuker 07-10-2012 10:04 PM

I'm not sure if you have any other guns or plan on getting more, but if so the Outers universal kit is pretty nice. It comes in a wood box with just about everything you would need for any gun, and the box serves as a stand to hold the gun while you clean. :)

billt 07-11-2012 01:14 PM

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/225250/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-liquid

As far as cleaning, about all I can recommend is to try Bore Tech Eliminator as a copper removing barrel solvent. The reason is that it removes copper and powder fouling better than anything I have ever used. This includes Sweet's, Butch's, Hoppe's, Montana, name it.

The best thing about it is that it contains no Ammonia, and is completely odorless. It also has rust inhibitors in it that won't harm your barrel or gas operating system if you use it in a semi auto like a Ruger Mini 14 or a Springfield M1-A. Once you try it you'll give away all of your other solvents, it's that good. The stuff is also bio degradable.

I used it on a barrel I had cleaned with Sweet's 7.62 Solvent that I thought was clean. After I ran one patch through it soaked with the Bore Tech Eliminator, it came out green. That convinced me right then and there.

PalmBeachF150 07-11-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLuker
I'm not sure if you have any other guns or plan on getting more, but if so the Outers universal kit is pretty nice. It comes in a wood box with just about everything you would need for any gun, and the box serves as a stand to hold the gun while you clean. :)

Thanks bud going to order the One bilt talked about and add it to the outers kit I saw online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billt
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/225250/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-liquid

As far as cleaning, about all I can recommend is to try Bore Tech Eliminator as a copper removing barrel solvent. The reason is that it removes copper and powder fouling better than anything I have ever used. This includes Sweet's, Butch's, Hoppe's, Montana, name it.

The best thing about it is that it contains no Ammonia, and is completely odorless. It also has rust inhibitors in it that won't harm your barrel or gas operating system if you use it in a semi auto like a Ruger Mini 14 or a Springfield M1-A. Once you try it you'll give away all of your other solvents, it's that good. The stuff is also bio degradable.

I used it on a barrel I had cleaned with Sweet's 7.62 Solvent that I thought was clean. After I ran one patch through it soaked with the Bore Tech Eliminator, it came out green. That convinced me right then and there.

Thanks going to order it when I get home. Sounds like a real good product.

primer1 07-11-2012 05:20 PM

I love my dewey rod, it is nylon coated and has a swivel handle that spins as the brush or patch spins with the rifleing. I also like Kroil for loosening up fouling.

primer1 07-11-2012 05:33 PM

I love my dewey rod, it is nylon coated and has a swivel handle that spins as the brush or patch spins with the rifleing. I also like Kroil for loosening up fouling.

locutus 07-11-2012 06:31 PM

A solid, one piece rod, like the Dewey, is essential, IME.

For solvent, I like Shooter's Choice, but Hoppe's, Outer's, and Tetra are excellent as well.

If you have copper fouling from jacketed bullets, Sweet's 7.62 is hard to beat.

Shooter's Choice Hi-Tech grease (the pink stuff in the syringe) is great for high friction points like bolt lugs and slide rails. I like a drier lube like Rem-Oil, Dry Slide, or EEzox for everything else.

(NOTE: Shooter's Choice pink grease is good from +140 degrees F to -50F. It won't run in hot weather, or gum up in the cold like most other grease)

TLuker 07-11-2012 10:06 PM

The one piece rods like Dewey's are great, but I don't think they are necessary for most shooters? I think a good universal is the best way to go for someone that isn't going to be spending a lot of time cleaning and most shooters don't, and there isn't any need for most shooters to spend a lot of time cleaning.

Cleaning is important to getting the most accuracy possible from your rifle, but there's a lot more to it than just cleaning. Most people aren't going to spend the time needed to figure out every little detail to get that little bit of extra accuracy. For example most rifles take a few fouling shots to settle down after a really good cleaning. It takes time to figure out how many fouling shots. The point of impact and group size will start to change after so many rounds. Ideally you would clean just before that starts to happen, but again it takes time to figure out when that is. Most shooters aren't going to try and figure all that out, and there really isn't any need for most shooters to figure all that out. A rifle will shoot well with normal periodic cleaning, and a good universal cleaning rod works great for normal periodic cleaning. Which is all most shooters need.

Just my .02