Revolver soaked in vegetable oil!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Revolver soaked in vegetable oil!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Revolver soaked in vegetable oil!!!

So I have come into possession of a revolver that was "preserved" in cooking oil. It's not oily, but rather covered in a sticky goo like that around a deep fryer. I can manually scrub the parts I can get at but even disassembled I can't get everything. I've tried boiling the parts and even automotive brake parts cleaner, with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? *Cheap little .22, not worth spending much money on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't remember what it's called, but you usually find it in a red tub looking thing in most shops. Mechanics use it to clean oil off of their hands as well as off parts of what ever it is there cleaning. I want to call it varnish, but that's diffidently not it.

Varsol!! If you've got any of it laying around your garage you could try some soaking it in that for a couple minutes. Another thing that's great for ratting grease is that stuff you buy in 1.5L orange jugs that has pumas in it.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Dawn dishwashing detergent.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
People Like This 
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

just a fyi. never boil a gun!! it can easily get hot enough to change the tempering of steel parts making it unsafe to shoot. while water can only heat to about 210 degrees before it boils the pot can easily be MUCH hotter and so can the gun itself.

as you have discovered vegitable oil is a terrible thing to put on a gun. its not even good for cooking much of anything.

cooking oil is one of the hardest things to remove.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2102 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Kitchen degreasers like Fantastic or Amway Zoom. Dish washing detergent like Dawn will work but have their own additives. The citrus based cleaners would probably also work. Shop degreasers or solvent are meant to work on petro chemicals not vegetable based oils.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Fast orange would likely damage the finish. I would soak it in WD 40. Then give it good bath in dawn.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

JonM- I suspend the gun so it didn't touch the bottom and over heat.

I'll give the WD-40 a try since I'm certain it's safe. I'm having trouble getting this stuff off my hands even with fast orange. Does anyone have experience with kitchen cleaner use on their firearms? I need something that will go in and run this goo out of the nooks and crannies that I can't get to.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #8

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Try GunScrubber. It works miracles without even disassembling the the firearm!

Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

maybe oven cleaner?? veggie oil is remarkable resiliant. the stuff that really works is commercial grade and is nearly 3$ an ounce.

current dawn dishwashing liquid now lacks the element that removes grease and oil curtesy of the epa...

you can also try glass top stove cleaner

heated sonic cleaner MIGHT work

last resort i would try a media polisher like a vibratory case cleaner but the gun would likely need refinishing after that.

soda blasting will definitaly remove it along with the the finish

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-17-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Just soak the gun in Kerosene it will come clean.