Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Revolver soaked in vegetable oil!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/revolver-soaked-vegetable-oil-78610/)

LibertyGunworks 12-16-2012 10:06 PM

Revolver soaked in vegetable oil!!!

So I have come into possession of a revolver that was "preserved" in cooking oil. It's not oily, but rather covered in a sticky goo like that around a deep fryer. I can manually scrub the parts I can get at but even disassembled I can't get everything. I've tried boiling the parts and even automotive brake parts cleaner, with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? *Cheap little .22, not worth spending much money on.

kaido 12-16-2012 10:15 PM

I don't remember what it's called, but you usually find it in a red tub looking thing in most shops. Mechanics use it to clean oil off of their hands as well as off parts of what ever it is there cleaning. I want to call it varnish, but that's diffidently not it.

Varsol!! If you've got any of it laying around your garage you could try some soaking it in that for a couple minutes. Another thing that's great for ratting grease is that stuff you buy in 1.5L orange jugs that has pumas in it.

Sonic82 12-16-2012 10:19 PM

Dawn dishwashing detergent.

JonM 12-16-2012 10:33 PM

just a fyi. never boil a gun!! it can easily get hot enough to change the tempering of steel parts making it unsafe to shoot. while water can only heat to about 210 degrees before it boils the pot can easily be MUCH hotter and so can the gun itself.

as you have discovered vegitable oil is a terrible thing to put on a gun. its not even good for cooking much of anything.

cooking oil is one of the hardest things to remove.

JTJ 12-16-2012 10:36 PM

Kitchen degreasers like Fantastic or Amway Zoom. Dish washing detergent like Dawn will work but have their own additives. The citrus based cleaners would probably also work. Shop degreasers or solvent are meant to work on petro chemicals not vegetable based oils.

John_Deer 12-16-2012 10:54 PM

Fast orange would likely damage the finish. I would soak it in WD 40. Then give it good bath in dawn.

LibertyGunworks 12-16-2012 11:04 PM

JonM- I suspend the gun so it didn't touch the bottom and over heat.

I'll give the WD-40 a try since I'm certain it's safe. I'm having trouble getting this stuff off my hands even with fast orange. Does anyone have experience with kitchen cleaner use on their firearms? I need something that will go in and run this goo out of the nooks and crannies that I can't get to.

mountainskytop 12-17-2012 01:13 AM

Try GunScrubber. It works miracles without even disassembling the the firearm!

JonM 12-17-2012 02:26 AM

maybe oven cleaner?? veggie oil is remarkable resiliant. the stuff that really works is commercial grade and is nearly 3$ an ounce.

current dawn dishwashing liquid now lacks the element that removes grease and oil curtesy of the epa...

you can also try glass top stove cleaner

heated sonic cleaner MIGHT work

last resort i would try a media polisher like a vibratory case cleaner but the gun would likely need refinishing after that.

soda blasting will definitaly remove it along with the the finish

nitestalker 12-17-2012 02:32 AM

Just soak the gun in Kerosene it will come clean.:)