Rem oil! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Rem oil!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2645 Times on 1843 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
My only complaints about Remoil is how thin it is and the fact that it seems to evaporate or disappear for longer term storage. That said, I haven't had any problems using it.

I'm with Axxe on using synthetic oil for the fact that it seems to stick around a little longer. I use Mobile 1 because I can buy it by the quart and it goes a long way for the money.
Why not grease for long term?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #12

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

CLP. Love the stuff.

Remoil gives the blued barrels a nicer look however.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1889 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 5679

I'll second CLP for everything.

Clean, Lubricate, Protect.

Nice and easy and does the job.

The only problem i have ever had is some crud collecting around the extractor and firing pin on my 1911. I just use quite a bit less now and have no problem with sawdust, dirt and grime. However, most will not subject their sidearm to such conditions.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I'll second CLP for everything.

Clean, Lubricate, Protect.

Nice and easy and does the job.

The only problem i have ever had is some crud collecting around the extractor and firing pin on my 1911. I just use quite a bit less now and have no problem with sawdust, dirt and grime. However, most will not subject their sidearm to such conditions.
In my experience, when it comes to CLP less is usually better, but then again that seems to be true with just about everything out there. I'm not into running any of my guns 'wet'

Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Slip 2000 Extreme Weapon Lube. Great stuff, but expensive.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #16

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I found this article today.

http://gunsmagazine.com/goops-soups-sauces/

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Rem Oil is a good product for the correct purpose! But not for the AR and semi auto tactical rifles. Due to the fact it will cook off with heat. It is a good light oil and should be used for applications requiring a good light oil. I am not knocking the product only stating not for AR Rifles. Not do the manufacturers recommend grease! But a good viscosity lubricant is best and there are many out there including our Synthetic Mobil One formula and others.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i use RemOil and Lucas gun oil. they are not the only products that are perfect for gun lubrication or storage concerns. just the ones that i happen to use currently and are readily available for me.

there are plenty of fine products that work as well as or maybe even better than what i use.

the products i use, work for my needs. and as long as they do what i need them to do, and i can lay my hands on them as needed, then they are what i will use.

i suggest products based on my usage. i believe in the old saying, "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!"

Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2645 Times on 1843 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Slip 2000 Extreme Weapon Lube. Great stuff, but expensive.
I use their Carbon Killer as a backup cleaner (pricey). I think the whole 2000 line is biodegradable and nontoxic which is how I try to run my shop. For lubrication - to this day nobody has proven one "snake" oil superior to another. A lot of what we do is based on intangibles, like beliefs and superstitions. Bet you nobody is totally rational and free of old wives tales when it comes to cleaning own guns.

It is true that some oils are more viscous and sticky than others. None of them protects the surface like solid grease. All evidence is empirical at best and imaginary the rest of the time.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

I used remoil for a long time and never had any problems with it. Remoil contains synthetic oils. Remoil leaves a lot to be desired in high humidity areas with salty air. I use transmission fluid in coastal areas on the exterior of my guns. Really all the popular gun oils do a fine job of protecting your firearms. Use what you believe is best. I like slipstream weapons grease for plastic guns. It's crazy expensive but a couple ounces lasts for years.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine