Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Rem oil!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2364 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Default Rem oil!

ok, apologies if covered a million times.....

basically, i use rem oil for all my gun oil needs. every finish i have (blued., stainless, parker...etc).....i use rem oil as my go-to for the final wipe down for protection. i think i use rem oil on my firearms so much because it is cheap and available everywhere.

any down sides? is there something better to use for specific finishes? is there a better product out there for this purpose?

thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19951 Times on 11339 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

basically, i use rem oil for all my gun oil needs. every finish i have (blued., stainless, parker...etc).....i use rem oil as my go-to for the final wipe down for protection. i think i use rem oil on my firearms so much because it is cheap and available everywhere.

any down sides? is there something better to use for specific finishes? is there a better product out there for this purpose?

thank you.
Rem Oil has been around for quite few years. i have used it myself in the past. it does it's job.

are there better products than RemOil? probably. i happen to use Lucas Synthetic gun oil now. i am having good results with it.
People Like This 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
Rem Oil has been around for quite few years. i have used it myself in the past. it does it's job.

are there better products than RemOil? probably. i happen to use Lucas Synthetic gun oil now. i am having good results with it.
thanks, axxe. any suggestions are helpful. do you use the lucus synthetic for basic protection during storage? do you think it is better than rem oil? if so, why?

i guess i am just looking for the best overall "final finish" product. a good oil to put on a gun and store it for a few months.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
thanks, axxe. any suggestions are helpful. do you use the lucus synthetic for basic protection during storage? do you think it is better than rem oil? if so, why?

i guess i am just looking for the best overall "final finish" product. a good oil to put on a gun and store it for a few months.
it seems to stick better and seems to lubricate parts that move better due to it's being a synthetic and being just a little thicker oil. for protection, i just squeeze some onto a rag and wipe down the gun with it, then wipe off the excess.

i use a lot of Lucas oils and products at work for my small engined equipment. we are a Dixie Chopper dealer and Dixie Chopper's come with Lucas oil in them and recommends Lucas for their products.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
it seems to stick better and seems to lubricate parts that move better due to it's being a synthetic and being just a little thicker oil. for protection, i just squeeze some onto a rag and wipe down the gun with it, then wipe off the excess.

i use a lot of Lucas oils and products at work for my small engined equipment. we are a Dixie Chopper dealer and Dixie Chopper's come with Lucas oil in them and recommends Lucas for their products.
thanks again. i'll check it out.

any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
thanks again. i'll check it out.

any other suggestions appreciated.
get you some Kano Kroil. great stuff and has many uses. i use it for a bore solvent, a general cleaner for blueing, penetrant oil for stuck or frozen parts, and alight weight oil for triggers.
People Like This 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1445 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Quote:

thank you.
I use it all the time. The spray goes on small moving part assemblies. The soaked patches are handy for a final wipedown. It looks good, and I took their word about Teflon, so stopped using silicone wipes. All is well. One thing to remember, it is not a dedicated rust prevention agent. It is mostly a lubricant that can do a little bit of everything.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

Liked 1971 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 423

My only complaints about Remoil is how thin it is and the fact that it seems to evaporate or disappear for longer term storage. That said, I haven't had any problems using it.

I'm with Axxe on using synthetic oil for the fact that it seems to stick around a little longer. I use Mobile 1 because I can buy it by the quart and it goes a long way for the money.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2521 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 1395

This ground has been covered frequently, until someone can prove to me that there is a better cleaner, lubricant & protector than Ballistol, I will continue to use it on everything from my BP rifle to my pistols, rifles, shotguns, knives & tools.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

jackrich3 Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #10

Liked 170 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
This ground has been covered frequently, until someone can prove to me that there is a better cleaner, lubricant & protector than Ballistol, I will continue to use it on everything from my BP rifle to my pistols, rifles, shotguns, knives & tools.
+1 on Ballistol, the Germans have been using this stuff since 1890/1900's JMHO