Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Recommendations for cleaning/restoring barrels and stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Recommendations for cleaning/restoring barrels and stocks

Hey guys. First time on the forum and I like what I see so far. I'm wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions for me.

I recently was given two older guns from my grandfather. A .22 LR and .410 shotgun. Both weapons are in decent shape. A good cleaning, oiling, etc seem to be about all they need. Which brings me to my question. What products/procedures would y'all recommend for cleaning and restoring the outside of the barrels and the stocks?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Wud really like to know exactly what they are before suggesting anything to restore them - Could be you don't to do anything but clean them

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Restore might not be the right word for it. Mainly was looking for something to clean up the outside of the barrels and the stocks with. There's some signs of light rust on the barrel. The weapons themselves seem to be in good working order (that is to mean that they fired and shoot straight, all levers, bolts, etc slide easily back and forth; that sort of thing). They just need a good cleaning inside and out.

As for what they are; one is a Mossberg 352KD .22LR and the other is a Springfield model 18C .410 shotgun (produced by Savage Arms Corp).

On a different note, if anyone knows where I can find some information on that model shotgun (general history, whether or not parts can still bought for it, that sort of thing), I'd would appreciate it. Always nice to know that kind of stuff and Savage Arms doesn't seem to be all that good at replying to emails.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well, i'm going to assume (hate that) that you're new to this so i'd say just get a good gun cleaning kit + the correct size bore brushes. As for light rust use some OOOO steel wood (this is where a air compressor comes in handy) -Wood can be prettied up to any extent you desire with basic items from a hardware store-
As for parts google Numrich gun parts - if they don't have it it'll be hard to find-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Not new to guns, just out of practice. These two are first ones I've owned in about 15 years. The last guns I had were stolen way back when and even though I always had other types of weapons around the house, the opportunity to pick up another firearm just hasn't worked out until now. I've always cleaned/oiled my own weapons, but this is the first I've had to deal with the rust on the outside of the barrel or stocks that needed a really good cleaning, so I wasn't really all that sure what to use. I'll look into the website and see what they have as far as parts. I don't really think at the moment that I'm going to need to replace anything, but it never hurts to have that information handy.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 511

You might not even need steel wool just some WD40 to remove the exterior rust. Old Englsh Scratch Remover does wonders to wood work. Nothing will make the metal smooth again were it rusted. If you just leave the rust alone once the WD40 soaks into the rust it will turn dark and become what is known as patina.