Powder marks and Stainless Steel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Powder marks and Stainless Steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 115 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Default Powder marks and Stainless Steel

I have numerous SS guns and love to shoot them. I do not love to clean the powder residue off of them....generally, I use standard cleaning supplies like solvent, gun oil and lots of elbow grease...

What do you use and is there a "miracle" solvent that takes the residue off easily?

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1864 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 570

The lead removal cloth does a good job.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Don't know what kind of guns you're shooting, but something I did with a stainless steel revolver...

The powder rings on the front of the cylinder! Gawd they're ugly. I cut a small disc out of a corrugated cardboard box and slapped it on a dremel. Using a very light touch and low RPMs, those powder rings buffed right off. I wouldn't think this would erode enough material to be a concern, as I did this enough to use up around 30 cardboard discs and the VERY fine machining marks still weren't even buffed out.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Liked 958 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
as I did this enough to use up around 30 cardboard discs and the VERY fine machining marks still weren't even buffed out.
Was that in one cleaning, or over a bunch of cleanings? Don't they make specific powder residue solvents? I have 2 SS rifles, and the muzzle gets residue on it. I used a Rem Oil cloth, and it came off pretty easily, and that was after it had been there a while.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The chamber mouth mating to the forcing cone is very critical. Using even light abrasives on a Dremel tool will result in uneven wear across the 6 chambers. This will increase the gas cutting of barrel throat over time.
I would use one of the powder and lead solvents.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

Was that in one cleaning, or over a bunch of cleanings? Don't they make specific powder residue solvents? I have 2 SS rifles, and the muzzle gets residue on it. I used a Rem Oil cloth, and it came off pretty easily, and that was after it had been there a while.
That was after about two years of cleanings. And if you have a dremel laying around, and cardboard, you're not buying anything. I forget though, not many people stay as broke as me.

This was on a used gun, and I couldn't get the residue off with anything. To begin with. After that first time, I honestly didn't try to get it off by hand anymore, just figured it weren't gonna happen.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I have numerous SS guns and love to shoot them. I do not love to clean the powder residue off of them....generally, I use standard cleaning supplies like solvent, gun oil and lots of elbow grease...

What do you use and is there a "miracle" solvent that takes the residue off easily?
On the flash marks on the cylinder face I have used mag wheel cleaner applied with a Q-tip with good results. I wish I could remember where I read about it so I could link you to the article, but you basically want to do just the flash marks. Don't soak the whole cylinder. Let it sit until it dries, reapply, then wipe it off before it dries again.

Another method I have seen is Jewelers Rouge and a soft cotton cloth. This is the same stuff they use to polish precious metals, and they swear it doesn't remove metal. I don't have the patience to try it, so I can't tell you anything from a personal viewpoint.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #8

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts

Jeweler's rouge certainly removes metal. Cardboard is abrasive. Lead removal cloths are abrasive. Non-abrasive Flitz polish is-yes, abrasive.
Powder marks on the cylinder are best left alone. They will be back the next time you shoot the gun anyway.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1791 Times on 1230 Posts
Likes Given: 907

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The lead removal cloth does a good job.
I second that. If you try be sure it's real dense lead cloth like Kleenbore. There are soft rags sold as l.c. They r worthless.

Unfortunately solvents don't do a good job which is which is a good reason to avoid brushed stainless slides. The crap seems to embed in the rough surface.

I have seen good results with Carbon Killer 2000.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1521 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 532

CLP powder blast does a good job of cleaning my stainless guns. I bought my 10/22 used. Powder blast got stains off it that were there when I bought it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato