Please help asap: Rust on firearms - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

Please help asap: Rust on firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
All the more to store guns in them
I have been away from this forum for a while, and I cannot believe this thread. For one thing, "dry rot" is caused by fungi living in MOIST environments! Where it is, so is moisture!
For another, nothing beats plain old synthetic motor oil (like Mobil 1) for clinging to and protecting steel; that's why it was invented. Simply dip, then wring out a rag using Mobil 1, then rub it all over the steel surfaces. Before anyone says differently, a rag containing motor oil will not catch fire, because the oil does not oxidize and create heat. If still antsy, leave the rag spread out somewhere.
I have metal items (some firearms) stored in a very humid basement, which were coated with motor oil (from a rag). NOT ONE has ever had any rust.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4372 Times on 2953 Posts
Likes Given: 2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by regload View Post
I have been away from this forum for a while, and I cannot believe this thread. For one thing, "dry rot" is caused by fungi living in MOIST environments! Where it is, so is moisture!
For another, nothing beats plain old synthetic motor oil (like Mobil 1) for clinging to and protecting steel; that's why it was invented. Simply dip, then wring out a rag using Mobil 1, then rub it all over the steel surfaces. Before anyone says differently, a rag containing motor oil will not catch fire, because the oil does not oxidize and create heat. If still antsy, leave the rag spread out somewhere.
I have metal items (some firearms) stored in a very humid basement, which were coated with motor oil (from a rag). NOT ONE has ever had any rust.
Okay, but Synthetic Oil was introduced for its lubricity and resistance to high temperatures. It may well protect from rust, but so does any water repellant such as plain grease.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #33

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mercator:
The additional benefit of synthetic oils, and it was designed in right from the beginning, is their tendency to remain on the metal (not drain off), despite their not being greases. That's why they are far superior during the first few critical seconds of an engine starting up, before oil pressure has risen enough to distribute conventional oils to the metal surfaces. Once on the surface, they must be removed by a solvent, if desired. Nowadays, there are even a few gun oils which are synthetic, but cost far more than the synthetic motor oils, on a price-per-volume basis. And the synthetic motor oils intrinsically resist heat breakdown. Since these oils are not greases, but fluids, they will flow into and protect areas which a grease cannot reach. But, thankfully, they won't migrate to the ridiculous degree that something like WD40 does.