Please help asap: Rust on firearms
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Please help asap: Rust on firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Please help asap: Rust on firearms

Folks I need help ASAP. We have been staying with some friends for a few weeks. They have a humid basement and like an idiot I put my 870 and mosin nagant down there. Tonight I went to inspect them and there is rust build up on the outside of the guns. It is pretty bad. Now this is the first time this has ever happened. I am new to rust and guns but it doesn't look like any of the metal has been eaten. When I rub the rust off, it comes off in flakes which seems kind of weird. Like I said, it seems like there is a coating but no damage has been done yet. Both the 870 and mosin internals look fine from where the Hoppes oil has done it's job. What do I need to buy and what should I do? How much time do I have before my guns start pitting and the rust actually starts eating the metal. Again I am new to this as I have never had a basement before!!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I would use something to stop the rusting like break free CLP and a brush to remove the rust.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
I would use something to stop the rusting like break free CLP and a brush to remove the rust.
Ok maybe I freaked out a bit much. But I still need to get it out asap. Thanks for your fast reply. Brownells says to use a cloth and hoppes #9. IT APPEARS I HAVE LIGHT SURFACE RUST, AGAIN NO PITTING.

Will the Hoppes #9 take care? A cloth or steel wool?

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I wouldn't use steel wool unless there is pitting. Try the cloth and Hoppes first. If there is pitting then use some fine steel wool and the Hoppes, be very careful and just hit the pitted area to try and eliminate that active rust as rust will grow if you don't get it under control. That steel wool can and will take the finish off if you are not careful.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #5

I would try a nylon brush to avoid harming the finish. Before I put any of my firearms in storage I coat the action barrel and any exposed metal with a light coat of CLP and before I shoot the firearm I run a dry patch down the barrel.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #6

AS of this evening I do not have any oil or any of my gun tools, they are in storage which was so stupid of me... As of now I have wiped down as much of the Rust Dust (i know right) with a DRY DRY DRY papertowel. I am going to get oil tomorrow. Anything else I should do while I wait? Obviously they are out of the basement also I brought my ammo up as well. I just can't believe this happened this fast. The mosin bolt looks like it is a hair pitted.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I would try a nylon brush to avoid harming the finish. Before I put any of my firearms in storage I coat the action barrel and any exposed metal with a light coat of CLP and before I shoot the firearm I run a dry patch down the barrel.
Stay away from as much clp as you can it is way to harsh leave it for ( combat only ) thats where it shines try the hopp #9 if that dont work then get your weapons truly DRY!! and use a light coat of car wax all over the outside and down the bore this will give it a strong protective border from any kind of humidity BUT when you take them out of storage be sure you give them a cleaning of a life time

Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #8

Consider this a quote

Improvised gun oil
image-572915074.jpg  

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #9

Liked 1331 Times on 891 Posts
Likes Given: 856

I cannot believe that a gun sitting in any basement short of a flooded one would be able to rust a gun to a point that it is pitting. Even then, it takes some time to pit it, as most guns have SOME kind of protective finish.....

OP, what is the humidity level down there?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Consider this a quote

Improvised gun oil
Take a look at your own post he is talking about (muzzleloaders) not modern firearms care is compleatly different