Old Stevens 86c

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Old Stevens 86c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Old Stevens 86c

Tried loading some long rifle in my old cheap Stevens I bought used. The round comes up from the tubular magazine ok, but when I go to step 2 and push the bolt to put the round in the barrel it binds the round in the barrel. I used a rifle cleaning kit thinking it was just some gunk, but no improvement. Could the barrel be internally pitted? When I inspected the 22 lr round I could see an area on the upper left shoulder of the round where the lead has a scratch,scrape, or shiny spot from the barrel obstruction( or whatever you want to call it). Shot 22s as a kid, but just got back into the craziness with a Glock 19, a S&W 15/22 and the old Stevens. Any help appreciated.

Stonesaver

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Does the round go all the way into the chamber? If so shoot one and inspect the brass. that will tell you if there is a bad spot in the chamber. Or pull the barrel so you can see into the chamber.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

ok question you are getting binding wit reloads that you did... have you checked to see if a factory round binds? maybe the brass needs to be resize?

or maybe i misunderstood your post

Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwickcut View Post
ok question you are getting binding wit reloads that you did... have you checked to see if a factory round binds? maybe the brass needs to be resize?

or maybe i misunderstood your post
Yeah. You misread. It's a .22 LR.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Is the bullet nosing up and hitting the top of the chamber? Not uncommon on tube feed guns.
There is a set of "feed lips" in there. If they spread a bit over time or get otherwise bent
it can cause feed problems. Also the little spring loaded shell lifter can wear/bend and mess
with feeding.

Before you grab the hammer and start "adjusting", try different ammo. Sometimes just going
to a plated bullet or slightly different bullet shape will solve it.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Been there, done it.

After replacing parts (and there are numerous models), I wasted a lot of time and money.
Finally put a red tag on it and returned it to the individual.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Is the bullet nosing up and hitting the top of the chamber? Not uncommon on tube feed guns.
There is a set of "feed lips" in there. If they spread a bit over time or get otherwise bent
it can cause feed problems. Also the little spring loaded shell lifter can wear/bend and mess
with feeding.

Before you grab the hammer and start "adjusting", try different ammo. Sometimes just going
to a plated bullet or slightly different bullet shape will solve it.
Some pics may help. I have.several tu e feeds that I nought as "junk guns". I have seen lifters with broken springs, plungers and feed lips be problems. Try locking the bolt back and feed a round in manually.

ETA: I looked in one of my books and it shows a cartridge guide spring as well as a lifter spring. I have seen lifter springs broken on one end that don't leave enough tension to feed properly.

Last edited by srtolly1; 02-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesaver
Tried loading some long rifle in my old cheap Stevens I bought used. The round comes up from the tubular magazine ok, but when I go to step 2 and push the bolt to put the round in the barrel it binds the round in the barrel. I used a rifle cleaning kit thinking it was just some gunk, but no improvement. Could the barrel be internally pitted? When I inspected the 22 lr round I could see an area on the upper left shoulder of the round where the lead has a scratch,scrape, or shiny spot from the barrel obstruction( or whatever you want to call it). Shot 22s as a kid, but just got back into the craziness with a Glock 19, a S&W 15/22 and the old Stevens. Any help appreciated.

Stonesaver
Follow up to all who replied with suggestions... I got out my Hoppes rifle cleaning kit and worked the brush about ten minutes in the chamber area..lo and behold the round goes in and ejects just fine now. Must have been some kind of build up in the chamber, now to go out and put a few CCI LR through it. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

What, no pics?