Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Old Stevens 86c (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/old-stevens-86c-84251/)

stonesaver 02-15-2013 01:21 AM

Old Stevens 86c

Tried loading some long rifle in my old cheap Stevens I bought used. The round comes up from the tubular magazine ok, but when I go to step 2 and push the bolt to put the round in the barrel it binds the round in the barrel. I used a rifle cleaning kit thinking it was just some gunk, but no improvement. Could the barrel be internally pitted? When I inspected the 22 lr round I could see an area on the upper left shoulder of the round where the lead has a scratch,scrape, or shiny spot from the barrel obstruction( or whatever you want to call it). Shot 22s as a kid, but just got back into the craziness with a Glock 19, a S&W 15/22 and the old Stevens. Any help appreciated.

Stonesaver

hiwall 02-15-2013 02:46 AM

Does the round go all the way into the chamber? If so shoot one and inspect the brass. that will tell you if there is a bad spot in the chamber. Or pull the barrel so you can see into the chamber.

kwickcut 02-18-2013 04:40 AM

ok question you are getting binding wit reloads that you did... have you checked to see if a factory round binds? maybe the brass needs to be resize?

or maybe i misunderstood your post

crazycharlie2 02-18-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwickcut (Post 1142490)
ok question you are getting binding wit reloads that you did... have you checked to see if a factory round binds? maybe the brass needs to be resize?

or maybe i misunderstood your post

Yeah. You misread. It's a .22 LR.

BillM 02-18-2013 12:21 PM

Is the bullet nosing up and hitting the top of the chamber? Not uncommon on tube feed guns.
There is a set of "feed lips" in there. If they spread a bit over time or get otherwise bent
it can cause feed problems. Also the little spring loaded shell lifter can wear/bend and mess
with feeding.

Before you grab the hammer and start "adjusting", try different ammo. Sometimes just going
to a plated bullet or slightly different bullet shape will solve it.

danf_fl 02-20-2013 10:25 PM

Been there, done it.

After replacing parts (and there are numerous models), I wasted a lot of time and money.
Finally put a red tag on it and returned it to the individual.

srtolly1 02-24-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 1142642)
Is the bullet nosing up and hitting the top of the chamber? Not uncommon on tube feed guns.
There is a set of "feed lips" in there. If they spread a bit over time or get otherwise bent
it can cause feed problems. Also the little spring loaded shell lifter can wear/bend and mess
with feeding.

Before you grab the hammer and start "adjusting", try different ammo. Sometimes just going
to a plated bullet or slightly different bullet shape will solve it.

Some pics may help. I have.several tu e feeds that I nought as "junk guns". I have seen lifters with broken springs, plungers and feed lips be problems. Try locking the bolt back and feed a round in manually.

ETA: I looked in one of my books and it shows a cartridge guide spring as well as a lifter spring. I have seen lifter springs broken on one end that don't leave enough tension to feed properly.

stonesaver 02-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonesaver
Tried loading some long rifle in my old cheap Stevens I bought used. The round comes up from the tubular magazine ok, but when I go to step 2 and push the bolt to put the round in the barrel it binds the round in the barrel. I used a rifle cleaning kit thinking it was just some gunk, but no improvement. Could the barrel be internally pitted? When I inspected the 22 lr round I could see an area on the upper left shoulder of the round where the lead has a scratch,scrape, or shiny spot from the barrel obstruction( or whatever you want to call it). Shot 22s as a kid, but just got back into the craziness with a Glock 19, a S&W 15/22 and the old Stevens. Any help appreciated.

Stonesaver

Follow up to all who replied with suggestions... I got out my Hoppes rifle cleaning kit and worked the brush about ten minutes in the chamber area..lo and behold the round goes in and ejects just fine now. Must have been some kind of build up in the chamber, now to go out and put a few CCI LR through it. Thanks everyone.

srtolly1 02-25-2013 09:39 PM

What, no pics?