Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > New "old" pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New "old" pistol

I just received a "new" Norinco M93 pistol that seems to have been placed in a plastic bag with all the manufacturing coatings (grease) inside this baggie, but, I think that it was done about 20 years ago, so, it is a fairly stinky mess now.

I am looking for recommendations for cleaning this, both inside and out before I take it to the range and see how well it really does.

If you are wondering, just holding it leaves a stench all over my hands that is difficult to wash off with regular soap-n-water - I need to use industrial strength SprayNine on my hands to just get them cleaned up enough to consider touchin' the bathroom door.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like cosmoline.
Here's a thread:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/trick-removing-cosmoline-71084/

Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Awesome ... thanks for the info. I have heard about cosmoline, but, never seen cosmoline before. If that's what it really is, I have some work to do now!