New gun to the range without cleanng??

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > New gun to the range without cleanng??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default New gun to the range without cleanng??

A friend of mine (new to guns) bought a new S&W 1911 last weekend. He had asked me if he needed to do anything to it before he took it to the range. I told him that he might want to clean it. That being said, I have actually taken pistols to the range right out of the box without any issues. Are some models better out of the box than others? I have shot Glocks, and some Rugers right out of the box without a cleaning and not had a problem. Your thoughts??

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Usually I shoot guns right out of the box. The barrels should be clean enough. Moat of my guns just have excess oil on them which will burn off anyway. No biggy. It's really up to you.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
Usually I shoot guns right out of the box. The barrels should be clean enough. Moat of my guns just have excess oil on them which will burn off anyway. No biggy. It's really up to you.
Yeah.. Thats exacty what I told my buddy. I told him its up to him whether or not he wants to clean it before he takes it to the range. Although, I did tell him that if was going to put a few hundred rounds through it then he should clean it when he returns home.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Some manufacturers don't put a heavy layer of grease on their products. If the gun is reasonably clean when you get it things will likely go well at the range. What motivates me to to tear down and clean a new gun is that is the best time to spot imperfections or improperly seated parts.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Some manufacturers don't put a heavy layer of grease on their products. If the gun is reasonably clean when you get it things will likely go well at the range. What motivates me to to tear down and clean a new gun is that is the best time to spot imperfections or improperly seated parts.
Exactly. I will always tear them down before I shoot them. After that, if I think I need to clean it I will. But I always inspect it

Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1352 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 3412

I have always cleaned mine before taking them to the range. It is a personal thing. Always inspect the weapon before firing it for the first time.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I always clean a new gun before I fire it. Not only does it give you a chance to inspect the weapon, but it allows you to make sure the weapon is properly oiled.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I wouldn't use a firearm without first thoroughly inspecting the internals and making sure everything it seated well and where it should be. Plus, you don't know how long they were in storage, and may need to have some lubrication added or some grease removed!

Plus it gives you a chance to get familiar with stripping the firearm before it gets all dirty from use...So when you DO strip it to clean it after your first use, it's that much easier to do it.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Guns are shipped in preservative oils/grease to ensure there is no rust, this stuff is not intended to act as lubricant for extended use. Ideally you should remove it and ensure the gun is lubed properly. If nothing else, your chance of problems be decreased. Some guns demand it. CZs or old Combloc Milsurp stuff can be quite gooey.
Like so many things in life, just because you can get away with it doesn't make it a good idea.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Guns are shipped in preservative oils/grease to ensure there is no rust, this stuff is not intended to act as lubricant for extended use. Ideally you should remove it and ensure the gun is lubed properly. If nothing else, your chance of problems be decreased. Some guns demand it. CZs or old Combloc Milsurp stuff can be quite gooey.
Like so many things in life, just because you can get away with it doesn't make it a good idea.
My Desert Eagle came from the factory is this thick sticky packing grease in and on it. It took some tine to get it all off.