M44 mosin headspace

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > M44 mosin headspace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts

Default M44 mosin headspace

I recently tested my m44 at the range last Friday after months of not shooting it due to cosmoline in the chamber / ejection problems. I polished the chamber using jb bore cleaning compound (blue label). I think I might of overdid it a little because it's hard to get the bolt to close when loading a round. It ejects just fine. If it has excessive head space, is there anything I can do to fix it? 1396463883193.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

What is hard about closing the bolt? Getting it fully forward or closing the bolt (pushing the bolt handle down? Did you leave any of teh bore paste in the bolt races or in the lug recesses where the bolt lugs actually lock up? Did any of teh cosmoline settle in these areas. Some solvents will remove most of the oil based products in cosmoline but may leave the beeswax portion behind.

Buy a headspace guage and check your headspace. to fix a headspace issue may require a new bolt head to accomodate worn lugs.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
What is hard about closing the bolt? Getting it fully forward or closing the bolt (pushing the bolt handle down? Did you leave any of teh bore paste in the bolt races or in the lug recesses where the bolt lugs actually lock up? Did any of teh cosmoline settle in these areas. Some solvents will remove most of the oil based products in cosmoline but may leave the beeswax portion behind.

Buy a headspace guage and check your headspace. to fix a headspace issue may require a new bolt head to accomodate worn lugs.
It's probably just the bolt head.