You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

Lucas Gun Oil Has anyone else tried it ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2277 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 2386

All I use is Lucas !.....................

Old 08-01-2017, 05:06 AM   #42

Liked 6914 Times on 3784 Posts
Likes Given: 11824

Lucas makes good products, so yes i use it!

but i also use other products as well.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."

Old 08-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #43

Liked 271 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Having the conventional bolt/lever/slide type actions, and now also incorporating some hard running, high fire rate AR15's into my ownership, I've learned that what oils our Grandparents used just won't work AS WELL nowadays.

I now use Mobil1 oil for all my firearms.

I figured with logical thinking that if Mobil1 is good for lubricating $100K dollar race engines that run for hundreds of miles with RPM's hovering between 8-10 thousand for hours, and it also having rust inhibitors, good cling when used moderately, so it's good enough for me. For large areas where oil is needed I put on a oily rag to wipe down/spread to keep from dripping off.

I've heard things like Frog Lube gumming up actions if gun is stored and not used regularly, or people applying it incorrectly and doesn't work as should.

Heard good things from SLIP2000/Pig Snot and others, but haven't tried them as Mobil1 is good enough for me and living here in Missouri where humidity is high. I haven't had any issues yet and some of my guns go all the way back to the 60's.

I also use all my guns, so I don't have anything in long term storage to test Mobil1, and by long term storage, I mean not using for 5yr or longer.

So, if we're speaking of using for oiling down between hunts or plinking then that's different than using a gun oil for storage, which in my opinion requires a different type of prep work of oils and grease's to protect.

Del
Life Member of NRA
CCW Permit Holder
Lifetime "Conservation Partner" Permit Holder
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #44

Liked 6914 Times on 3784 Posts
Likes Given: 11824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
Having the conventional bolt/lever/slide type actions, and now also incorporating some hard running, high fire rate AR15's into my ownership, I've learned that what oils our Grandparents used just won't work AS WELL nowadays.

I now use Mobil1 oil for all my firearms.

I figured with logical thinking that if Mobil1 is good for lubricating $100K dollar race engines that run for hundreds of miles with RPM's hovering between 8-10 thousand for hours, and it also having rust inhibitors, good cling when used moderately, so it's good enough for me. For large areas where oil is needed I put on a oily rag to wipe down/spread to keep from dripping off.

I've heard things like Frog Lube gumming up actions if gun is stored and not used regularly, or people applying it incorrectly and doesn't work as should.

Heard good things from SLIP2000/Pig Snot and others, but haven't tried them as Mobil1 is good enough for me and living here in Missouri where humidity is high. I haven't had any issues yet and some of my guns go all the way back to the 60's.

I also use all my guns, so I don't have anything in long term storage to test Mobil1, and by long term storage, I mean not using for 5yr or longer.

So, if we're speaking of using for oiling down between hunts or plinking then that's different than using a gun oil for storage, which in my opinion requires a different type of prep work of oils and grease's to protect.

Del
Mobil 1 is good oil and hard to beat for using in AR's. but, just about any top tier brand of synthetic oil would serve the same purpose as Mobil 1 in the same application.

and here's the thing. you can get it at any auto parts store, Walmart or Target or whatever, and a quart will last a long time.

some of the specialized gun oils may be even superior, but that's debatable from what i have seen over the years, and many times a person is relegated to having to order the stuff online since no one locally carries or stocks it on their shelves.

now with Lucas Oil products being stocked by more outlets now, such as even Walmart, O'Rielly's, AutoZone and others, Lucas gun oil is starting to show up more locally now. and Lucas makes good products. even if they are a bit pricy.

but in just volume, per cost of the quart of oil, Mobil 1 is still hard to beat.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."

Old 08-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #45

Liked 170 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I use Lucas oil and grease. Very good and reliable and LASTS!

I don't buy the stuff designated as Gun Oil or Gun Grease. Its a bit pricey compared to Lucas' regular marine and car products.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #46
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1916 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1048

Well, there you have it! Everyone has a favorite based on more often than not, nothing, hearsay, advertisement, look of the packaging etc. The truth is most folks don't shoot enough for a valid opinion, great lube, good lube, not so good lube, they have no way of telling. Long term storage is the real problem and depending on where you live long term may not be all that long.
A while ago DIY_guy posted a long term test of 46 different products and I believe it deserves another look.
The main focus was on lubricity and corrosion prevention. Take the time see this through to the end it's worth your while.

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 737 Times on 442 Posts

While I am not an expert, I am provably the only one on the forum, who has taken a three credit, senior level engineering class, with a lab, on lubricants.

I use DuPont Multi-use Lubricant with Teflon. Stuff inhibits rust, is extremely tenacious, and leaves a dry film that doesn't attract/trap dust.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #48

Liked 271 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
While I am not an expert, I am provably the only one on the forum, who has taken a three credit, senior level engineering class, with a lab, on lubricants.

I use DuPont Multi-use Lubricant with Teflon. Stuff inhibits rust, is extremely tenacious, and leaves a dry film that doesn't attract/trap dust.

You've piqued my interest. Tell me/us more about this DuPont and where to get. Picture of product would be nice.

Isn't "Teflon" dangerous to breath if burnt? I know Teflon coated pans became a danger when left on stoves and put off fatal fumes when burned, so all of sudden the making of ceramic/stone type coated pans. Semiauto, high fire rate rifles will get very hot and glow when abused, so the concern.

I'm not afraid to use different products if they work and not afraid to mix together to make for even better product(if they're tolerable together).
Life Member of NRA
CCW Permit Holder
Lifetime "Conservation Partner" Permit Holder

Old 08-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #49
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 737 Times on 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
You've piqued my interest. Tell me/us more about this DuPont and where to get. Picture of product would be nice.

Isn't "Teflon" dangerous to breath if burnt? I know Teflon coated pans became a danger when left on stoves and put off fatal fumes when burned, so all of sudden the making of ceramic/stone type coated pans. Semiauto, high fire rate rifles will get very hot and glow when abused, so the concern.

I'm not afraid to use different products if they work and not afraid to mix together to make for even better product(if they're tolerable together).

Amazon has it.

The issue with the Teflon pans was the carrier matrix they had it in. Teflon is stable up to 400-degrees. I guess you could get a direct impingement semiauto that hot. I shoot piston guns, so it isn't an issue to me.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #50

Liked 44 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Well being I posed the question about the Lucas gun oil.... I tried it and as for rust preventive it's not
holding up....so back to the rem oil I could at least count on it for the most part to keep the rust at bay at least a bit longer than the Lucas has.
I pulled three out of the safe and two had surface rust and the bolts seemed sort of dry
maybe I just expected more or better performance from the oil or just didn't use enough oil on them for storing.
I bought a bottle of the Lucas Gun Oil too....looks, feels and smells a LOT like Lucas ATF but the ATF is $8.00 for 32 ounces , the Gun Oil is $2.00 per ounce! I'm just going to use the ATF.

For rust protection in the safe , long term, try Birchwood Casey Barricade Rust Protection (formerly called Sheath). I live in Louisiana , rust, heat and humidity is a constant battle here, Barricade works best for storage , if surface rust appears after Barricade treatment....your safe is in an area with way too much humidity.
Gary
Dallas53 Likes This