Looking at an SR556E but... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Looking at an SR556E but...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

i would be careful ruger has a history of doing their own thing when it comes to making guns. meaning the ruger reciever may not mate up correctly with a aftermarket barrel

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #12

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Do you know of anyone having melonited and existing barrel afetrmarket?
I am thinking of doing that with this wonderful 41V45 CHF barrell ( if i do get this gun)

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Do you know of anyone having melonited and existing barrel afetrmarket?
I am thinking of doing that with this wonderful 41V45 CHF barrell ( if i do get this gun)
the outside yes but doing the inside isnt a good idea. there is nothing wrong with a non-chromed barrel. most barrels lose accuracy when linings are applied especially if its done by someone without really modern technique and training.

from my experience chrome lining a barrel doesnt make it any easier in cleaning than a non-lined barrel.

ive got ar15 in both plain stainless and chrome lined cleaning takes the same time regardless of barrel features. what WILL speed it up and make it super easy is a one piece dewey cleaning rod, a jp bore guide a good chamber brush a good bore brush and a brass cleaning jag and something solid to rest the upper on like a cleaning rest

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-26-2013 at 02:31 AM.