Looking at an SR556E but...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Looking at an SR556E but...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default Looking at an SR556E but...

Fellas am looking at an SR556E which is a wonderful rifle on so many levels accurate piston system etc BUT it is lacking a chrome lined chamber and a chrome lined bore.

One of the advantages of a piston system is the expectation of less and/or easier maintenance but the lack of chroming kinda flies in the face of tjat..

I have never owend a non chromed bore rifle.
What is the extra maintenance expected?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

You do as you want but to me there is not added benefit going to a piston over a DI system . piston system adds weight , and proprietary parts , so when it breaks I hope you have the spares already or you will wait , Everyone says its a cleaner system , yes in the power but it just pukes carbon under the hand guard so if you have a floating hand guard you get to remove it to clean under it . A friend of mine sold his BCM to buy a SR556 , I told him it has no advantages of his current setup and he did it anyway , Now its the SR556 for sale to buy another BCM . Told ya so . I shot it and to be honest with you no difference .
Its just not worth the extra money

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #3

I really enjoy my SIG516 which seems much smoother to my surprise than my DI guns ( which include some good ones).
It also feels super high quality right there with my DDM4V5.

I expect the SR556E to be as good andit has been well reviewed ...except the lack of chrome bore bothers me.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've handled M16s pretty extensively. Never messed much with the civilian market ARs. I did handle an SR556 at a shop. You couldn't force me to buy it at that price and with so much forward weight.

Piston ARs are unfortunately like so many other doodads, they're an answer to a question that didn't really need to be asked.

The DI system, besides the first few years they were issued in Vietnam, has been a reliable system for... 40 years or so? And cleaning the DI guns has never been any earth shatteringly tortuous task, no more so than any other gun I've ever used.

To the chrome bore and chamber, or lack of, just clean it as you would any other gun.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #5

I abslutely love my SIG 516 and expect an SR556 to be roughly similiar.
As for parts.. many parts still interchnage from the SIG516 to a AR, foring pins, even the bolt looks like its the same (sans gas rings) and it appears I could sub a regular bolt in there.

Also these systems are interesting to me from a collector standpoint. I already have a few DI systems why keep buying the same?

Still ...every one of my rifles needs to be field worthy to a high degree and chromed bores help with that....

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

WHY you ask , Because they are proven, reliable and just plain work !!!!
If you wanna go with a reliable piston system get a AK

Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
WHY you ask , Because they are proven, reliable and just plain work !!!!
If you wanna go with a reliable piston system get a AK
I am fully invested in the AR system now as a Amry sodliers I am very familiar with the AR and already well trained in its use.
it is more accurate and I am good enough to amke use of that...
And I now have lots of AR ammo and spare parts and magazines..

But you are right if I were to start all over I might storngly consider going AK.

The amount of ammo I could have stored by now in 5.45mm... sigh...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

I am still interested in that firearm as its still for sale.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a barrell aftermarkety melonited or nitrided?
Or even NiCorr?

And who would do that.
that SR556E has a 41V45 CHF barrell.. it be a chance to leave it untreated.

I dont see it mentioend anywhere in Rugers specs that the barrell has gotten any treatment in house..

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

sr556 is a total pass in my book. if your a hardcore ruger fanatic i could see getting it cuz its got the ruger symbol.

had a sr556 and it was a cast iron BTCH to clean. mine the handguards were roll pinned in place which made removal for getting at the innards difficult at best.

if its just a range gun i guess not being able to fully clean it isnt a big deal. but for an ohsht gun...

grab a milspec ar15 like a bcm di gun and your set.

as for chrome lining vs no chrome it gives a little advantage under full auto or heavy semi-auto fire in that the barrel lasts a bit longer before needing replacement by an average of 10-15k rounds. thats real purpose of it.

for most civy usage it doesnt matter unless you got a stockpile of older rooskie steel cased ammo with the lacquer coating.

i run my ar15's wet with motor oil making clean up a simple wipe down and a few passes with the cleaning rod. ar15 built to spec dont need a ton of cleaning. the whole they gotta be spotless to work thing is a total myth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #10

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response.

I also have a couple of real nice DI guns but I was interested in it for the novelty a bit too.

Still the idea behind a Piston gun is less maintance and the no chrome flies in the face of that.

Still its an interesting gun and you gotta admit a 41V45 CHF barrel is pretty cool ...
... I'prefer the SR556E model (which this is) where u can remove the handguards easier and its lighter than the regular SR556...... except the lack of chrome bugs me..
if it had nicorr or at least melonite it would be ok.

I hear one can get it after market nitrides but i dont know anyone who doe sit locally.
Gave my gunsmith a call but he hasnt called back yet

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Last edited by bluez; 02-25-2013 at 10:37 PM.