You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

light black or gray streaks inside shotgun barrel??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default light black or gray streaks inside shotgun barrel??

i just bought a new 12 gauge shotgun, i got it home and put hoppes thru the barrel, let set a few minutes and cleaned out. when i checked the barrel there are streaks inside, it won't come out with hoppes which is all i have and thought maybe a brush? what could this be? and what can i use? it isn't heavy inside, just lightly but runs the entire barrel length. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2017, 05:08 AM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 98

We're going to assume this is a NIB store-bought shotgun, for
a moment. (although I have bought a carbine from a LGS which
was rode hard and put away wet, before it was passed off as
NIB, to me.) Does the gun advertise that it shoots rifled slugs?
Is the streaking spiral in shape?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:15 AM   #3

Liked 8167 Times on 4464 Posts
Likes Given: 13921

i have seen very similar in new shotgun bores i have bought before. probably nothing to worry about and normal.

after i shot some rounds and cleaned it a few times it was nicely polished and gone. still running strong!

Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

Liked 708 Times on 428 Posts

If it can't be felt by with a finger and is just a color/stain etc. Since you've already used a solvent on it, don't worry just shoot, clean, rinse and repeat.

I'm leaning with the poster above thinking you may have a rifled slug barrel.

Shoot some pics if possible.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Liked 8167 Times on 4464 Posts
Likes Given: 13921

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
If it can't be felt by with a finger and is just a color/stain etc. Since you've already used a solvent on it, don't worry just shoot, clean, rinse and repeat.

I'm leaning with the poster above thinking you may have a rifled slug barrel.

Shoot some pics if possible.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.
from what i gathered, the one he bought is the All-Purpose Model 88 with a 28" barrel. they do offer a fully rifled 24" slug barrel version of that model 88.

he mentioned this on another one of his threads.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

contacted mossberg, they want the barrel back. i have sent it back to them, i hope my replacement is sent quickly. thanks

Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #7

got my new barrel today, blueing is very light and the barrel has got a brownish color to it but the inside is nice and clean, also the first barrel rib did not line up center with the receiver. the new barrel went right on and looks great and is in line. got the label so the first barrel is going back, the inside i still can't figure and i'm glad i at least installed the barrel once cause the rib out of alignment would have really bothered me. called mossberg and told them this too and i was told its rare but rib misalignment happens from time to time. the brownish color to the barrel i was told was blueing not taking as well as it should but i'm keeping it as it lines up and is clean inside. thanks