Keeping guns from rusting - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Keeping guns from rusting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Problem is, different steel rusts at different rates.....meaning, you could have 2 pieces of different steel in the same location. 1 will rust in a week, the other will be fine 10 years later. And I don't have any gun steel.

I suppose It could still provide an indicator, though.

Last edited by clr8ter; 09-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #22

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Apparently......that's what I thought I was doing. Unfortunately, I can't check on them every 1/2 hour.
You can't look at your guns every 29 minutes? You piker!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #23

Liked 539 Times on 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Problem is, different steel rusts at different rates.....meaning, you could have 2 pieces of different steel in the same location. I will rust in a week, the other will be fine 10 years later. And I don't have any gun steel.

I suppose It could still provide an indicator, though.
I was just thinking the problem might be able to be truly found, and then a solution could be made from there. I agree with the different steels corroding at different rates. Drill bits may be a good candidate seeing as they have a high carbon rate like gun steel. Just make sure they don't have a coating in them like titanium nitride. Just a plane Jane set of cheapo bits. Plus then you could also do some with the gun oil on them to see if that is a factor

Old 09-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 502

take the felt off. felt is a moisture attractant and shouldnt be used for longterm storage. same with natural things like wool cloth which felt is often made from.

take your chunk of wood and tool dip it where the guns touch, when it dries do a second coat then a third and that should protect from normal wear and abrasion. prolly take about an hour to do all three coats.

take all the foam out of the safe. foam doesnt have to be touching the gun to do evil things it will raise the humidity.

the little plugin dehumidifers that work via dessicant pack arent that hot in a bigger rifle sized safe.

my gunsafe is lined with synthetic fiber close weave pile rug. basically the stuff is made of plastic.

i use tool dipped metal handgun racks.

you basically replaced the fowm with felt which does the exact same thing the foam does.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #25

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

JonM, when you say "tool dipped", do you mean that stuff you coat wrench handles and stuff in? The liquid rubber that dries on? At this point the only piece of foam in the cabinet is a 1/4" on the bottom. And the desiccant pack is way bigger for the cubic footage than necessary....

Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
JonM, when you say "tool dipped", do you mean that stuff you coat wrench handles and stuff in? The liquid rubber that dries on? At this point the only piece of foam in the cabinet is a 1/4" on the bottom. And the desiccant pack is way bigger for the cubic footage than necessary....
yes thats tool dip.

remove the foam replace it with a low pile synthetic rug remnant. or an automotive plastic/rubber floor mat

foam works just like a sponge.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #27

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is the best product I have seen for preventing rust- http://www.seal1.net/

This stuff comes in a paste form that can be put on as thick as you want. I have also seen this product put in a crock pot and they cook the product into smaller parts.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #28
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 688 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1501

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Get one of these, then wax your guns with Johnsons paste wax.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1138614184/goldenrod-gunsaver-dehumidifier-rod-110v?cm_vc=U112

Jim
These do have success; don’t think they are technically “dehumidifiers” but whatever. What they are – are small heaters and as you know when you set a cold glass of water out at room temperature, it condensates; whereas your hot coffee cup stays nice and dry. Too much heat can be detrimental to your woods, but these small heaters are pretty reliable.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #29

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
I have one of those stack-On gun cabinets. It came with a crappy foam barrel rest, which I replaced with a wooden one with felt on it. It caused the barrels to rust, especially the stainless ones, (and the Savage SS in particular). This happened twice. So I sealed the edges of the cabinet, and put foam weatherstripping in the door, and threw in a large desiccant pack. (Which after 3 or so weeks is showing pink again on the monitor on it.) I also made a new barrel rest, also out of wood with felt on it, but put A LOT of Rem Oil on the felt. This wasn't 3 weeks ago. And It happened again! The Savages barrel is oily where it was touching the felt, but also rusty. Not sure how to take care of this problem at this point. What can the barrels rest against that won't scratch them, but will also not rust them? The rest of the gun is rust-free, all of them. There is also less of an issue with blued guns, and no issue with parkerized-type guns.

At a loss....
Felt will cause any gun to rust. You nailed the problem right off the bat. Just plain wood is good enough.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #30

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The rifle barrel is acting as a condensation devise. The problem is the fluctuating temperature in your gun safe. The moisture forms and remains in contact points where the barrel rest. You need a small electric dehumidifier. The problem is the condensate collecting and evaporating in the bore of the barrels. A product called "Ballistol" works well in these conditions.