Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Hydrophobic coating? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/hydrophobic-coating-107908/)

savageman97 06-17-2014 07:33 AM

Hydrophobic coating?

I just found this product they call ultra ever dry and I thiught it was pretty interesting. If u havent ever heard of it than its definately worth looking into! Bassically its a two part solution that u spray onto a surface and it creates a hydrophobic coating that will repel water and mud and bassically anything with water in it. Theres a youtube video of it and it seems to work incredibly. So my question is.... u could theoretically spray this stuff on ur huntin rifle and never shudder when u get caught in a rain storm? And rust should be a thing of the past?

fa35jsf 06-17-2014 02:11 PM

I have wondered the same thing but never had a gun that I would try it on. Send your request over to the guy who is doing the product testing. I'm sure he can help

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

ScottA 06-17-2014 02:19 PM

It's only a matter of time before this is a factory option. But I assume it would be useless in the bore.

ctshooter 06-17-2014 04:41 PM

Only draw back I see is it has to be reapplied if comes into contact with soaps or solvents. One of the informational videos on their site even says not to touch with bare hands to much, and avoid abrasion.

The concept is awesome, just have to give them some time to make it so you can do simple things like handle it with bare hands.

Hookeye 06-18-2014 06:58 AM

Oiling my guns is relaxing.

DrFootball 06-18-2014 08:00 AM

Hydrophobic coating?

Just the whole cleaning process, what ever I'm doing ( sometimes I unload ammo out of magazines and wipe down the Ammo before replacing it, as a means of inspection...) relaxes me,..with some "Quiet Music " in the Background. On my Bed, I Spread out 2 old Towels, and put 3 cleaning mats on top of that, then roll up a comfy chair, and get to it. Most of the older long Arms are in "Plastic/Vinyl" storage bags with separate dehumidifiers, the newer stuff comes out once a month or more for light cleaning and TLC, and the stuff we shoot regularly is cleaned 2x a month, plus before and after shooting as needed. The only thing I don't do while I'm doing that is drink ( other then water) and I quit Smoking cigars and pipes about 9 yrs ago....
I'm still experimenting with my first DIY "Paint" jobs, in progress is the Mossberg 702(getting Two-Tone Light and Dk. Grey over Black with black specks,....except for the optic) and next I was going to do the Kel-Tec P3AT slide in Grey,... And then maybe if I have enough left out of the cans, one or two other guns' Parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

tinbucket 07-08-2014 09:26 PM

Blacksmiths when making wrought iron and just ordinary things will quinch the hot metal in oil until it cools. It adsorbs the oil. that's one reason you may see old fittings on barn doors that are more black than anything like rust. I've used wax which is somewhat durable on an old .22. Others do too. I used Essox synthetic lube, on many of my firearms. I can't find it now. It gets more fluid when it gets warm from shooting etc. Rig +P and other ,lubes. Several of my firearms are parkerized. Nickel looks nice, but don't use Hoppes and some others solvents on it. there are many types of durable finishes out now....durable to a point. They will still scratch and rust and be worn off by holsters and other things. Only real way is for the base material to be rust resistant or rust proof, like some grades, of stainless. that is why most of the handguns, over the last, 20 years, I've acquired were stainless. when they come up with something that won't rub off on the edges and corners and normal wear, they will beat a path to their door.

Chainfire 07-08-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookeye (Post 1591978)
Oiling my guns is relaxing.

hmmmmmmm ?:D

BillDeShivs 07-09-2014 02:13 AM

Metal will not "absorb" oil.

tinbucket 07-12-2014 04:04 AM

Metal will definately adsorb oil even close grained forged metal. Cast iron will adsorb the most, that I know of. Aluminum will adsorb oil. Hot metal quneched in oil will draw in oil as it cools in it. How much in what type of metal I don't know. Talk to a blacksmith or someone that works with metal. Look at the bottom of iron skillets and other pans used to cook meats in and so on.