How to take care of a blued finish
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How to take care of a blued finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to take care of a blued finish

I could use some help. I know that a blued finish is very sensitive. I've been warned that oils from my fingers can easily damage the finish as well as other things. I greatly appreciate tips, advice, and suggestions. I'm doing my research but I still do not feel as if I know what is good to clean and lubricate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

It is not that fragile. I've had many guns over hundred years old with good bluing. Just wipe it with a Lightly oiled rag once in a while.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
It is not that fragile. I've had many guns over hundred years old with good bluing. Just wipe it with a Lightly oiled rag once in a while.
This pretty much sums it up. You may get holster wear over time but as long as you don't do anything crazy it should hold up fine. I keel a little cold blue around to do touch ups for holster wear and the like.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

Thank you! I really did have a different impression. Its my first handgun, so I'm learning. I bought a can of Rem-DriLube from a sporting goods store, after I left I realized that myself and the salesman weren't on the same page completely when I was trying to ask about cleaning. I see now that I was not understanding him. Just to be sure; the Rem-DriLube is safe to use? Thanks again for any and all advice!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

This pretty much sums it up. You may get holster wear over time but as long as you don't do anything crazy it should hold up fine. I keel a little cold blue around to do touch ups for holster wear and the like.
Is cold blue that you mentioned a brand that I should look for?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Think of it this way...

Blueing and rust Browning are some of the original ways of preventing corrosion. There are firearms hundreds of years old who's metal is still in mint condition.

And...
If it were obsolete or just not up to snuff, it would have been mostly abandoned by now.

A blued firearm will be just fine man. As mentioned, wipe it down occasionally (once a day for me, high humidity region), and you'll be good for years.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByAllMeansMove View Post

You shouldn't need any for a while. I used Casey Birchwood just recently to blue my 1911. I went from a parkerized finish to blue. I don't recommend doing that. But touch ups and small parts are fine. I just wouldn't do a whole gun again.

Also, consider this: if you decide blue ain't for you, any gunsmith worth their salt can refinish with parkerizing or duracoat.

Finishes are like clothing. Can be changed pretty easily.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByAllMeansMove View Post
Yeah, you probably wont need it any time soon. But I use the Birchwood Casey stuff. It's plenty good for touch ups. Walmart or about any gun shop should have it.

A blued gun is not near as fragile and some want you to think. Most the people that demand this as truth are stainless gun fans and use it as a way to justify getting only a stainless weapon. Personally I like a blued gun. Stainless is great and I have a few but I have no problem with blued. In fact I think it looks much better to me over stainless. If your gun is neww then worry more about feeding it. Keep it clean and lubed and if you start to see a little wear (usually on the end of the muzzle and other parts that stick out) you can touch it up if you want. I can tell you I have an old shotgun here that has the rust browning on it and has not seen anything on it but oil for many years. And it's just fine.
I'm sure yours will be too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Just to be sure; the Rem-DriLube is safe to use?
I am not familiar with this product. It won't hurt anything, as it is obviously made for guns. Go in a store(Walmart,gun shop) and buy gun oil, brand does not matter(it will likely be the cheapest product there).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #10

Thanks! Y'all cleared it up for me, makes me feel a lot better. I purchased a new Taurus PT 709; its the slim series 9mm. I purchased it from a local hardware store in NC, they had few guns but mainly a hardware store so the man didn't really specialize in guns. My manual didn't give specifics and I was second guessing myself based on everything I could find on the Web. For me it was right much money to spend and I want to take care of it and make it last. I really do appreciate y'all's help. If you think of anything else sometime that I might need to know I sure appreciate it.