Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How to prevent rust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default How to prevent rust

So ive got a ? Hope to get some help. I live in a basement apartment and it stays really moist and humid down here and i clean my guns regularly and oil them after every time i shoot. Well i went to grab my shotgun and 1 of my 1911s and i noticed some rudt was starting to form on them. I just moved in here not to long ago and i have nowhere else to keep my guns but i dont want the rusting to continue ive thought about getting a de humidifier. But pretty pricey anybody have any other options to keep from rusting. And like i said i take goof care of my guns and do oil them regularly. Thank u

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iftown View Post
So ive got a ? Hope to get some help. I live in a basement apartment and it stays really moist and humid down here and i clean my guns regularly and oil them after every time i shoot. Well i went to grab my shotgun and 1 of my 1911s and i noticed some rudt was starting to form on them. I just moved in here not to long ago and i have nowhere else to keep my guns but i dont want the rusting to continue ive thought about getting a de humidifier. But pretty pricey anybody have any other options to keep from rusting. And like i said i take goof care of my guns and do oil them regularly. Thank u
Rust i meant sorry bout the typo

Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #3

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A dehumidifier would help. Also maybe try wrapping them in a silicon cloth or gun sock. Will help to keep it under control.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8405 Times on 3641 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

What are you keeping them in now?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2520 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

For now buy one of those big plastic tubs with a tight fitting lid and a couple of Damp-rid containers or one of the rechargeable Remington dehumidifier Model 365's @ sportsmansguide.com. I'd also recommend silicone treated gun socks.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
For now buy one of those big plastic tubs with a tight fitting lid and a couple of Damp-rid containers or one of the rechargeable Remington dehumidifier Model 365's @ sportsmansguide.com. I'd also recommend silicone treated gun socks.
Great advice. I use the Stack-On de-humidifiers in my locker and they work great.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
What are you keeping them in now?
My judge and my 1911s and my 300 win are in cases under my bed they all have the padding in them and my shotgun i dont have a case yet for so its under my bed to but it seems like the ones in the gun cases are rusting a bit more. Could they be sweating in there to much ?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have always wiped my guns down lightly with Hoppes #9 after cleaning and I have never had rust issues. The bluing on all of my guns still looks new also, even my '94 that I have had for 39 years. Storing them with a dehumidifier helps a lot also.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

Never store guns in cases. Air needs to circulate to prevent rust. Cases are for carrying, not storage.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I had a 1911 that would come out of the safe with rust spots every month. I coated it in Clp and never had another issue.

I don't need No stinking signature.